Airing dirty laundry/being disrespectful on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
    If you're looking for a job, or hell, even in general unless you use it as a business thing your FB page should be unacessable to the public.
    Unfortunately, what you think is inaccessible to the public, isn't as inaccessible as you'd like. Just because the public can't see it today, doesn't mean it won't show up on, say, a friend's public feed, or a screen capture somewhere. Plus, there has been more than one case of a private Facebook feed being opened up to people who it shouldn't have been.

The best rule of thumb is to treat everything that hits the Internet as if it will be there forever. Because in some cases, it will. If you don't want your lover/boss/parent/child seeing it, don't post it.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Andara brings up a good point, and also don't forge FB states they WILL comply with all lawful orders to turn over your information and at that point everything you have ever posted can be a matter of public record in a court case.

edit:
      OH and lets not forget, the new chat feature that scared me to the fact that I clicked on people who I used FB chat with when I was still in college 2 years ago and had conversations pop up.... and NO, they weren't messages I sent to an inbox, they were just random chats that I somewhat assumed weren't being logged. But that is why I try to never type anything I don't want intercepted or found at a latter date.
      Last edited by insertNameHere; 08-02-2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Didn't want to start a new thread as it felt more appropriate here. I almost started a Facebook yelling match when my ex mother in law calling me anti American.

Well technically she called every single person in the country who isn't a Christian Anti American very proud for not diving for the troll bait.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

I am trying to be a bigger person and not air my laundry on facebook even with it starting on facebook, but that is why i made a thread here so I don't let all my friends and family know what a ass my sisters husband is

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
            I understand for certain jobs like teachers and police but at the same time why can't they have a level of hummanity. My one friend has his FB locked down, They demanded him to login and walk out of the room while a detective browsed around for anything suspicious. They deemed him intolerant because he posted "Justin Bieber is SO GAY why do people love that moron?!!" Yet without direct access they never would have found that
            I'm not on Facebook, but if they're anything like other services you have to sign up for, allowing others to use your account is prohibited under the terms of service. From your description, they were requiring him to allow them to use his account. Also, by requiring him to leave the room while his account was logged in, they were requiring him to give them UNSUPERVISED access where they could POST under his account - by complying, he's violating rule #1 of computer security.

Comment

I was added by a FB acquaintance who is actually a friend of my daughter.
              She used to be married to one of my daughter's friends, but they split and divorced a few months ago.

She has a new girlfriend, and it is seriously sickening to open my FB all the time and read the intimate details of their sexual encounters.
              Her girlfriend doesn't seem to have her own FB, and will post on this girl's FB every time they make love.

I got to find out today that she didn't care for the strawberry kiwi taste from last night, and much prefers her girlfriend's natural taste.

Mmmm....that's always fun to read while I'm enjoying my morning coffee and muffin.

Take it to PM, chicky.

I suspect a lot of it is posted publicly to throw it in the ex-wife's face.
              Seriously, to me that just looks like she is insecure and is worried that her partner is still filled with feelings for her ex.
              Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

This isn't exactly the same thing that you guys are talking about, but I have a college friend of mine on my FB page, and she has recently split up with a boyfriend that she had been with for approximately ten years. She has been keeping the news feed filled with all kind of depressing statuses about how heartbreaking and sad her life is. Seems like almost every day, there is a new post from her that goes something like these.

"I honestly don't think I'll make it through this week."

"I don't know why I even try."

"I wish I were special." (she's posted several variants of this, and each time, many of her friends reply with variants of "Oh, but you ARE special!")

"I am sooooo feeling this right now." (posted along with a link to a Youtube video featuring some song about heartbreak, breaking up, or lost love)

Then again, she has been like this for as long as I've known her. She's a great person, don't get me wrong. She's just extremely emotional. When she's happy, she's euphoric, but when things are bad, she acts like the whole world is crumbling down around her. She's just an emotional rollercoaster.

Comment

I so know what you mean. When my sister and her baby lived with my aunt, she hated it here. To be fair, my aunt can be VERY demanding and it feels like you're at her beck and call. [I know I feel that way. ]

My sister kept posting how unbelievably angry our aunt made her feel, how she wanted to beat her up, how she even wanted to kill her. Granted, my sister's mentally ill. But what the fuck? She's still trying to get full custody of the kid...yeah, the dad's a druggie rapist asshole, but STILL. I worry that they're going to dig back and find that shit because she was a moron. You don't say those things online...especially not on Facebook for the world to see. Especially when your aunt is your FB friend.

And I know it's not quite the same, but I hate the couples who are lovey-dovey all over each other's walls constantly every day multiple times a day. Ok, we get it. Y'all love each other. That's great. I'm not opposed to acknowledging you're a couple of course, but when it's like you're shoving it down everyone's throat how SAPPY and IN LOVE you are...yeah, it's annoying.
                  "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Originally posted by Eisa View Post

And I know it's not quite the same, but I hate the couples who are lovey-dovey all over each other's walls constantly every day multiple times a day. Ok, we get it. Y'all love each other. That's great. I'm not opposed to acknowledging you're a couple of course, but when it's like you're shoving it down everyone's throat how SAPPY and IN LOVE you are...yeah, it's annoying.
                    A friend of mine from grad school is like that with her husband on Facebook. Granted, they really don't do it that often, so it isn't that bad.

My cousin often posts "lovey dovey" things about her husband, but I don't think what she does is what you're talking about. It usually involves him doing something for her and her posting about it and saying "I have the best hubby in the world!" For example, just today, she posted "Ryan took me and Ann (her friend) to the fair. He bought us both ice cream. I fell in love all over again!" I actually think it's kind of cute, especially considering she was married to another guy before Ryan, and that guy was an absolute slug.

Comment

An acquaintance of mine from work just a few hours ago got into a full-blown bitchfight with his 19 year old niece on his FB wall. It was several paragraphs' worth of them both going back and forth accusing each other of being alcoholics, him telling her she drank and snorted while pregnant, and her telling him he's a 'stupid fag who let the sperm go to his brain' and that he has crabs. WTH who does this? Damn I'm glad I never got involved with this person. I don't care if he swings both ways but I do care if he has crabs.

I get the lovey dovey junk, too. A person in my department (known on CS as "Her Royal Tardiness") keeps posting on her fiance's wall "____ more weeks till we're married, baby!" or "Can't believe in just a few weeks we'll be on a beach in Mexico." They LIVE together, do they really need to do this kind of exhibitionist crap?
                      A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

I blame reality TV. Instead of wanting to tell interesting stories now people think every trivial little thing they do is worthy of the five o clock news.
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

Maybe the world really does need to know that you've just eaten a bowl of Cheerios or that your kid just blew his nose.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                            Maybe the world really does need to know that you've just eaten a bowl of Cheerios or that your kid just blew his nose.
                            No they need to know that I'm sitting at my computer doing absolutely nothing!
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I think many times people are venting instead of talking it out with that person facce to face. It only makes it worse when you put in online for a lot of people to see. I vent on facebook and twitter but I don't get specific. And on my twitter most of the people that follow me are people that fangirl over the same thing that I do so they don't even know me.

Just recently my bff of four years ending our friendship and used facebook to do it! We had just had a lunch together and she was doing some things with men that could have been harmful to her. It was already harming her emotionally. I told her that she needed to stop that and maybe get counseling to find out why she continues to do this. I told her that I was concerned for her and I don't want to see her hurt. I said this to her in a caring and non threatening way. Later that night I saw on her facebook page that she was bashing me. I was shocked. Why didn't she just tell me that I upset her? Then she went on twitter doing the same thing. It was sad and I don't underdtand why she just didn't talk it out with me.

Comment

I think a fair percentage of what you say, JLG, is covered by an aspect of GIFT.

The Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory, a term created by the chaps at Penny Arcade. No consequences on the Internet, so let's behave as I like!

Rapscallion
                                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X