Stupid political issues and conspiracy theorists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
    Actually, there was one program that I watched on FOX that I absolutely enjoyed (for it being 4 am and we all know what else is on at that time on Sunday morning). I can't remember the show, but it's like an open forum with guests....Red Corner? Something like that?
    Red Eye. Kind of like a late night talk show I think.

Originally posted by blas97
    were having a discussion about some stupid wussy uber liberal Dad group in some state that was having a thing about little boys bringing in all of their toy guns to this pizza place and getting free pizza for getting rid of their violent toys.
    It was a local group in Buffalo I think it was. I'm not sure I'd call them "Stupid wussy uber Liberal" when its run by a firefighter whose ex-military. In direct response to his local elementary school getting shot up in a gang crossfire. However, Red Eye didn't put any of it in context or even explain a shred of what motivated it. They just went "lawl, guns fer pizza" and then went off on a tangent about it ruining childhood, blah blah. And your opinion on the topic reflects that presentation.

When you put it in the context of inner city youth in a ghetto with teenage gangs shooting up elementary schools its quite a bit easier to understand. You have kids that may very well pick up a real gun at an alarmingly young age. The group's whole point was that children there didn't learn to fear or respect firearms before they ended up with real ones in their hands.

Is pizza ( and school supplies/clothing mind you, wasn't just pizza ) for toy guns a good idea? No, not really. It's kind of silly. Though school supplies and clothes are nice if you're down on your luck and trying to raise children. But slamming it as the stupidest thing you've ever heard from a "stupid wussy uber liberal" group demostrates my point about Fox News perfectly. You don't know jack about the context of the story, you just walked away with "haha, stupid wussy uber liberals!".
    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 10-09-2011, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
      But slamming it as the stupidest thing you've ever heard from a "stupid wussy uber liberal" group demostrates my point about Fox News perfectly. You don't know jack about the context of the story, you just walked away with "haha, stupid wussy uber liberals!".
      The worst part isn't so much that they gave the wrong impression (totally on purpose, knowing them), but that the people watching swallowed it without questioning it.

They drink the kool-aid, then ask for seconds. >_<

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        They drink the kool-aid, then ask for seconds. >_<
        It's not even good Kool-aid, either. It's like....sugar free grape Kool-aid.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
          I know. I remember the Bush years where people were finding all kinds of things to blame Bush over.
          Exactly. The media was all over him from the day he moved into the White House. They were constantly looking for stupid things to hassle him with. Every speech was analyzed for hours, and showed up on the evening news. Yet, Obama...can't even *read* a speech without his teleprompter. He's even flipped out over problems with said teleprompter. Why doesn't the media make fun of that?

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
            Exactly. The media was all over him from the day he moved into the White House.
            They were? I recall comedians having a field day with him for obvious reasons. But I don't recall any mainstream news networks all over him for weird shit like using a paperclip. -.-

They were constantly looking for stupid things to hassle him with. Every speech was analyzed for hours, and showed up on the evening news.
            Bush consistently did and said some pretty stupid things. But those were actual things that were of some concern when he's the face of your nation. There's a difference between "The President had a verbal gaffe" and "The President used a Terrorist Fist Bump, is he a Secret Muslim?".

Yet, Obama...can't even *read* a speech without his teleprompter. He's even flipped out over problems with said teleprompter. Why doesn't the media make fun of that?
            "Obama teleprompter lawl" is one of the most common jokes there is and one of the most prevalent media themes there was during the election. I don't know how you missed the media making fun of that. Nevermind the fact every president has used a teleprompter at some point and every president uses some sort of reference tool. Bush didn't always use a teleprompter because he kept his speech on index cards on the podium in front of him. Reagan used the teleprompter fairly often.

Obama's problem is he's essentially a big geek, so rather than notes and cards, its teleprompter and Blackberry.

Comment

Stupid Conspiracy theories bug me the most and these are in no particular order:
              1. Pearl Harbor - FDR knew that Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked and did nothing to stop the attack. Well, we did break the Japanese Diplomatic Code but the Diplomatic Messages said something was going to happen but not what. The prevailing thought was that the Phillippines were going to be attack which is why the B-17's were flying into Pearl that morning. The US was beefing up the defenses there. And seriously, why would FDR risk losing the entire US fleet to get into a war? Especially when his beef was with the Germans. If the Germans didn't declare war on us, the machinations would have been for nothing.
              2. 9/11 - Seriously? I think the reason that has to be a conspiracy theory is because noone can wrap their mind around the idea that 19 guys can wreak so much havoc. And if the US were willing to kill 3,000 people, what would stopping them from killing the people who "know the truth".
              3. The Apollo Landings - The Soviets said we did it....given the circumstances, I would tend to believe them.
              4. Kennedy - See #2

Comment

Working...
              X