No announcement yet.

Hating on artists when you don't like the genre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take every song on a song by song basis. I never look at it in genre.

That being said most songs I like are ones that get used in a TV show or a movie to score a moment.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
      Can I hate Kenye West and Chris Brown on the basis they are epic douche bags? I honestly wouldnt know who either man was if they did not have the episodes of douchebagery.
      Yep! Kanye has okay stuff in terms of music but my gawd does that guy act like a big baby! As for Chris Brown, his music sucks and so does his personality.
      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        Sure. Feel free to dislike people because they're douchebags. However, no matter what your opinions on the artists themselves, that doesn't change the merits of the music they perform.

^-.-^
        This. Similarly, I find Roman Polaski to be repugnant, but there's no question that he's a gifted director and writer.

Comment

Is it just me or did the person jumping into the intellectual discussion do it just to sling crap? You could have been talking about the many allures of peanut butter, and someone would jump in, calling you names and mocking your heritage, just because you have an opinion. I get the feeling they weren't really commenting on music so much as finding an opportunity to be an asshole.

Comment

Pepper, I'm in the same boat where I live! It's either rap or country, no one likes a good rock song

Comment

People who rule out an artist purely based on the genre of music are only letting themselves down. If they want to miss out on something they could really enjoy, purely because they don't normally like that kind of stuff, then bad luck for them..

In saying that though, I hate techno/trance music, and will not give it a chance.. mostly.. Would you count Born Slippy as a techno song? Cos I do like that! and I know I am being hypocritical after my first statement, but if I miss out on a techno artist that I could love, I'll get over it.. I'd rather not bother at all....

I actually have a rather broad taste in music, being born in 1978 I have a deep love for the 80's pop of my childhood, and the grunge/alternative scene of my teens/early 20's. However, I also have a bit of country on the iPod, (LOOOVE Patsy Cline!), lots of heavy metal, glam rock, 70's disco, 50's-60's stuff, Eminem which is the only rap I like... and then all my sappy girlie love songs! I also love musicals so I have a LOT of soundtracks..

I only listen to the radio in my car, and I only listen to the oldies station, I don't have pay tv so I don't get the music channels, I dont go clubbing anymore so it's not often I hear any new music! I usually have a friend tell me, "check this out" to hear anything new... I like what I like, and I don't care what others think..
              You're Perfect Yes It's True.. But Without Me You're Only You!

Comment

Originally posted by Beckpatton View Post
                In saying that though, I hate techno/trance music, and will not give it a chance.. mostly.. Would you count Born Slippy as a techno song? Cos I do like that! and I know I am being hypocritical after my first statement, but if I miss out on a techno artist that I could love, I'll get over it.. I'd rather not bother at all....
                It's a bit heavy for trance, but I'm not familiar enough with all the sub-genres of electronica to know where to put it.

I think the big mistake people make with electronica is finding some super-obscure, super-oontz-y song and saying, "Ew, I hate it! Where are the lyrics?" Personally, I recommend BT's These Humble Machines, which is an album of radio edits of songs from These Hopeful Machines. Move to his Emotional Technology. Then branch to Armin, Tiesto, deadmau5. If the first electronica song you hear is by Skrillex, well, then, you'll probably hate it. (I happen to like Skrillex, but it's because Fiance eased me into electronica using the steps above.)

Comment

Working...
                X