Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
    Exactly love when someone gets my references
    I blame it on the rain . Ok, ok I had best stop threadjacking...hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
      *hands cookies to Racket Man* Yeah, it was easy . Wonder how a music trivia would go over in cs..too easy to google most of the answers though. Things that make you go Hmm...
      No Google or Youtube (well a little on YouTube cause I did have to bring up the video) search. I just remember that song and how it stuck in my head from a couple of months ago (plus I heard that song on the radio enough back in the day).
      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

The best part is the clearance on the good chocolates and lingerie!
        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by tropicsgoddess View Post
          The best part is the clearance on the good chocolates and lingerie!
          Here! Here! Especially the chocolates clearance. What would I do with the lingerie?
          Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

I'm all for designated days when the couple does romantic stuff for each other. Stuff like anniversaries or birthdays or other dates that have special meaning. Days that actually have significant meaning to the couple. The whole Valentines Day thing just sort of perplexes me. I don't mind it so much as I don't see much point to it. Even when I wasn't single. I wanted to congratulate the guys at work who have wives who don't care about it either just because it amused me but I felt bad for them when one of the ladies who works here was jokingly giving them shit about not doing anything for the day. The idea that a guy is a shitty boyfriend if he doesn't do anything for the day irritates me. Granted I can see how it depends on if the girl wants to celebrate or not. But I'm also all for both people putting effort into it (even if not money) rather than it all being on the guy.

Comment

Lately, I've gotten a little annoyed at the people who have to harp about being anti-Valentine's Day. We get it. You don't want to celebrate it. That doesn't mean anyone else is stupid or sheepish for celebrating it, though (not saying anyone in this thread said that). It seems that has become a trend, though---trying to show everyone how contrarian you can be. "Look at me! I'm not doing what the 'majority' does! Aren't I cool?"

It does get on my nerves, though, that most of the hype seems to be toward men. In the weeks leading up to Valentine's Day, we are inundated with commercials, newscasts, etc. with the basic message that, "Either get a lavish, expensive gift or you're a scumbag who should never, ever leave the doghouse!" On top of that, there are always a dozen or so snide remarks about men being bad gift givers. Whatever.

Comment

Not only is all the hype aimed at men to buy lavish gifts for the women in their lives, but the gifts in question are almost entirely either utterly soulless (I can't stand any of the diamond sellers) and/or utterly banal.

And the contrarians who have to show off how hip they are by being anti-Valentines are just as lame, to be honest.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I like this

Comment

I admit I hate Valentine's Day, and I'll be vocal about it...but that's when I'm bringing it up myself. I have the opposite problem, I legitimately despise the "holiday" for more reasons than it just being a consumerist utopia, but whenever I bring it up on my own, everyone else jumps on me for being an "anti-relationship hater" or some such thing.

Look, if you want to celebrate it, that's your business, good for you but I don't care, but neither am I going to pretend the concept of a designated "show me how much you love me" day doesn't bother me on a deep level. Hell, I have the same issue with Thanksgiving...yeah, the day is nice and all, but all it is to me is everyone loudly proclaiming things that should be a given. It'd be like having "Water Is Wet Day" or something like that. "I love you Day" or "I love my family Day" either one is just...baffling. And none of it has anything to do with me being single or jealous, I just personally DO NOT LIKE it.

The short version is, I'm not going to intrude on people who like it and want to celebrate it, but I'd like it if people wouldn't intrude on me hating it and not wanting to, either.

Comment

I could say the same about Mother's Day. Not being a parent, I don't get any presents on that day. However, I'm not about to go bitching at anyone who does get flowers and chocolates on Mother's Day.
                      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I used to really hate it, and the way stores explode with pink and red IS grating, but I realize being an anti is just as annoying as the person who posts about their date or brags about their amazing partner multiple times through the day. One guy I know went on all week and a few times through the day about how much he hated Valentines and wanted to have an anti party. But he's also the same one who will change his relationship status to 'in a relationship' and then back to 'single' three days later - he has difficulty keeping boyfriends for some reason and puts such a huge emphasis on whether or not he's partnered. I think he'd be much happier if he learned to be happy single.

When customers asked me if I was doing anything special, I just told them I did my partying Sunday night. But it was my birthday Went to the Sunday night drag show with some coworkers (a few of which were actually performing in it) and had a great time.

On the 14th posted a cute Puss In Boots picture to FB for all my friends, and the next day I got some clearance candy and brought it home to my family. Screw relationship status, love is love.
                        A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                          I could say the same about Mother's Day. Not being a parent, I don't get any presents on that day. However, I'm not about to go bitching at anyone who does get flowers and chocolates on Mother's Day.
                          I'm 50/50 in agreeing with you for mothers and fathers day (well the split might be different I just don't care enough to work it out).

Childless as (I hope) I am, I have no one to call me daddy or any such parental unit name, so the day passes me by.
                          When my parents were alive I would get a card and perhaps a western on VHS then DVD for my dad, chocolates and flowers for mum (and something a bit long lasting too, but flowers and chocs cost more than a film, but a film lasts way longer.)

Some times we need a gentle prod to remind us to not take our parents for granted, not in the 'you'll never know when they will be gone for good' way, but to remember that for the first decade and a bit, they were there for you 24/7 and if you got too wrapped up in work or your own family life, having some 3rd party remind you to call your mum more often helps.
                          It's a cleche when something happens to someones mum in a TV show in a TV show, that causes a character to then call their own mum, maybe this causes real people to do the same thing after the show finishes.

Now having said that, having a child is a prerequisit to being called mother or father, having no children you are just you, childless couples should not get all hot and bothered about the lack of gifts bestowed upon them by their children as they do not have them to do the bestowing.

Some couples might give their OH something on that day, but that is their perogative, But you are not a mother, you are not celebrated on mothers day.

But...

Those who cannot have children, or had but lost children, this I can see as upsetting and a reminder of your situation, far more than 'single awareness day' as it has been called over the years.

The years between my Fathers death and my Mothers, Fathers day was noted as a day to remember he wasn't there more than any other day of the year save his birthday, but after my Mother passed, both lost meaning and I can not cite the month either fall on in the UK (different to the states as they are), one more day to be reminded of the loss of both of my parents, when I was reminded each and every day I woke up for quite some time.

So yeah 50/50 on mothers/fathers day as a childless adult, but would rather sit out the 14th if in a relationship and do that kind of stuff when ever I felt like it.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                            Argh! You beat me to it! When I read the first post, my mind went straight to that one. The Oatmeal I think described it perfectly.

For V-day, Hubby and I just went to the movies to see "The Woman in Black". Then we ordered pizza 'cause neither of us felt like cooking.

Comment

least it wasnt the $10,010 proposal special from pizza hut

Comment

Originally posted by bhskittykatt View Post
                                Argh! You beat me to it! When I read the first post, my mind went straight to that one. The Oatmeal I think described it perfectly.

For V-day, Hubby and I just went to the movies to see "The Woman in Black". Then we ordered pizza 'cause neither of us felt like cooking.
                                you would be very surprised at the number of people who actually order delivery pizza on V-Day. VERY nice shift indeed and I thank all of my generous customers from that shift.

before I started delivering pizza I would have NEVER thought this course of "action" was so popular

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                                least it wasnt the $10,010 proposal special from pizza hut
                                I saw that and all I could think about was: "YEAH the jet, limo, hotel, ruby ring, etc was nice BUT a $10 pizza special????? how freakin romantic was that????" and this is the company that is making lots of money but is trying to slice its labor budget by forcing pay reductions on its employees and making them pay for actually working for the company.
                                I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                                The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                                X