No announcement yet.

But fag means cigarette!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm starting to see. If I say fag while talking about my game, even though I meant nothing even close to homosexual, they can't help but interpret it the way they're going to interpret it, so I need to be more careful how I say things. Right?

Except, I thought that

if you immediately assume the worst, then you have an attitude problem in that respect. If that's the case, it's probable that you have an attitude problem
    No, no I must just be imagining the inconsistencies. It couldn't possibly be that when someone misinterprets ME, it's just because I'm not clear enough, but when I misinterpret other people, I have an attitude problem. Of course, that's perfectly consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
      I think I'm starting to see. If I say fag while talking about my game, even though I meant nothing even close to homosexual, they can't help but interpret it the way they're going to interpret it, so I need to be more careful how I say things. Right?

Except, I thought that

"if you immediately assume the worst, then you have an attitude problem in that respect. If that's the case, it's probable that you have an attitude problem"

No, no I must just be imagining the inconsistencies. It couldn't possibly be that when someone misinterprets ME, it's just because I'm not clear enough, but when I misinterpret other people, I have an attitude problem. Of course, that's perfectly consistent.
      Yes, you're imagining the inconsistencies, because you're ignoring context (deliberately, I believe). You're using "fag" in an insulting manner, in a negative context. No matter how much you want to claim that it's a generic insult, that doesn't make it so.

You'r using it in the worst sense. There's no "assuming the worst" going on - you're already there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
        Yes, you're imagining the inconsistencies, because you're ignoring context (deliberately, I believe). You're using "fag" in an insulting manner, in a negative context. No matter how much you want to claim that it's a generic insult, that doesn't make it so.

You'r using it in the worst sense. There's no "assuming the worst" going on - you're already there.
        But...no. The worst sense of fag would be to belittle a certain group. Calling the Whalers a bunch of fags in the privacy of my own living room? It's different.

Comment

I'll admit I started using the word 'gay' to describe things I didn't like or that I thought were stupid a few years ago. Having teens in the house and all that...big part of their vernacular.

The difference between myself and some other people is that I'm actively now ashamed of it and internally struggle with it when it slips out.

Definitely doesn't make it right and I'm not making excuses for it. But I am working on it.

Comment

But...no. The worst sense of fag would be to belittle a certain group. Calling the Whalers a bunch of fags in the privacy of my own living room? It's different.
            *sigh*

Let's try another tack, here.

4channers use the word "nigger" in an apparently non-racist context (applying it to anything they disapprove of or disagree with). Does that make it any less insensitive toward black people? Do black people have no right to be offended by it?
            Last edited by Nekojin; 05-12-2012, 05:40 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

They really shouldn't be offended by it. If someone's going to get all butthurt every time they hear the word nigger they just need to stay inside and never watch TV or go on the internet.

Comment

They really shouldn't be offended by it. If someone's going to get all butthurt every time they hear the word nigger they just need to stay inside and never watch TV or go on the internet.
                Or maybe the history involved in the world is just a little too painful for people to just "cope." You don't get to unilaterally decide what people are or aren't (or, should or shouldn't be) offended by.
                Last edited by Nekojin; 05-12-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Kinda like Peppergirl, I started throwing around "retard" because of pretty much the enviornment I was in. It's not an excuse, but it kinda stuck with me. I understand it offends some people, but for goodness sake.

I mean, some people hear that word, and go off about their special needs relatives, or that they are special needs teachers, and how it's so hurtful and rude to speak like that

Yeah, I have special needs relatives, too.

I've heard things people have said that I don't care to hear, but I'm not going to bring the room to a crashing halt to start pounding on my chest and bellowing about how I know a person who has been mugged or someone who has been hit by a car or someone who is mentally handicapped.

Comment

How hard is it to just not be a douchebag? I mean seriously.

Comment

We're supposed to believe you're calling the game a cigarette?
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                        We're supposed to believe you're calling the game a cigarette?
                        No. You're supposed to believe that I'm calling it whatever the fuck I say I'm calling it, because I know what I mean better than anyone else.

How hard is it to just not be a douchebag? I mean seriously.
                        That works both ways. When it comes to little words like this I definitely vote for the "get over it" attitude.

Comment

"I'm offended when people get offended when I say offensive things!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lachrymose View Post
                            "I'm offended when people get offended when I say offensive things!"
                            And that's how ridiculous it sounds to me when I'm get killed by HK47 and I'm like "Oh faggot" and then someone else is all whining about it.

The thing is, everyone who's got a problem with -isms, I AM NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Neither is the guy who says faggot, nigger and cocksucker to his friends regarding things like football or video games. While you waste all your time whining like little ass girls because your precious feewings got hurt, the REAL assholes are working to make sure you can't get married, vote, be president, or even just have legal protection. GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!

Comment

Maybe you're a bit right.

Maybe those who are offended should let things slide sometimes.

Doesn't mean those who offend shouldn't take others' feelings into consideration.

If you outright know you are being offensive and continue to do so, and even defend doing that, then it seems you're going out of your way to be purposefully offensive.

Now, where do we draw the line? I honestly have no idea...

Comment

"I don't REALLY mean fag when I say fag in a game even though 95% of the people here saying fag DO mean fag when they say it. I'm the exception and its your fault it offends you."?

Nice. Real nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X