No announcement yet.

But fag means cigarette!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ain't no such thing - if they're from the Deep South, they aren't Yankees, and are likely to take offense at being referred to as such.
    To a southerner, yeah.

To a Brit, all Americans are Yankees.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

And remember we in the UK mean underwear when we say pants not trousers.
      So pant's on head retarded, a phrase used by yahtzee doesnt mean he has levi's hanging around his head like a poor man's twilek (sp) (bib fortuna's race) cosplay.

I've heard hard/software being labled as crippled for years, can't say how recent though and this is from magazines as well as forums.

edit:
      Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
      To a southerner, yeah.

Nah, we don't call em Yankees, just Yank's.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
        Or you could be saying that they're no good - after all, that's what the British expression "that's pants" means (at least to my understanding).
        Yes, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most Americans have no idea that Nicks stands for Nickerbockers, and I'd be shocked if more than 1 in 5 could say what knickers even are.

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
        I've heard hard/software being labled as crippled for years, can't say how recent though and this is from magazines as well as forums.
        "Crippleware" is a form of shareware where the user gets to have some bare functionality to get an idea of whether the program will work on their system and if it might be something they want. Basically, the utility has been crippled so that a person can't just use the shareware version and never buy the full version.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I once posted an English - American dictionary on CS.com; was funny to post all the slang I use as a matter of course. XD Especially since, in my experience, a lot of Americans are confused by it. For example; if an American says they were pissed, they mean they were angry, but the English meaning of pissed means drunk.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
            To a southerner, yeah.

I thought they were "damn colonials"
            I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
            Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
              Pick a new word, as BlaqueKatt suggests. Might I suggest "jackass"?
              But that's discriminatory against donkeys!
              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                Ain't no such thing - if they're from the Deep South, they aren't Yankees, and are likely to take offense at being referred to as such.
                They prefer to be called Rebels where I live. I just call them hillbillies.

Hillbillie- dumb ass, not always racistm though.
                Redneck- a bit polite and educated
                Hick- basically southern gentalmen type.

And of course they aren't always in the south. But thats just from where I see things where I live.

Comment

Please remember that, likewise, not everyone from the South falls into either the "rebel" or "hillbilly" category.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
                    But that's discriminatory against donkeys!
                    When donkeys complain, I'll suggest changing it.

You're not likely to meet a talking donkey. You'll probably meet a talking gay guy.

Comment

Donkey (from Shrek) would like to have a word with you..lol..sorry couldn't resist.

It's weird..I was once what people called a 'hick'. I wasn't really worldly wise, grew up on a farm, was of a decent size. Some could have even called me a redneck .. since my skin was slightly redder then normal from my native american heritage. My father spoke like a Hillbilly, and was from the hills..of Kentucky no less.

Yet..I take no offense at these words. Nor Redskin, nor anything else one might choose to call me. Simply because when you let others words hurt you, you are letting them define you..and I will define myself thank you. As soon as I figure out what that definition is..I'll make sure somebody else knows

Still..a single person does not get to decide what a word is. You can not say 'Grape', meaning an Apple..and expect people to understand that is what you are saying. World doesn't work that way. One day we might have a device planted in our minds that filter what we mean into what we say..until that time it is each person's responsibility to use their own COMMON SENSE..which sadly..is not so common any more.

Comment

You can not say 'Grape', meaning an Apple..and expect people to understand that is what you are saying.
                        MAYBE YOU CAN! :P

http://www.grapplefruits.com/

Comment

*laughs* I stand corrected.

Comment

I had to get you back for the Donkey comment.

But still, I do hear people seriously saying things like that, or that by my logic, you shouldn't be allowed to call someone a bastard either because it'll offend those born out of wedlock.

Comment

Another example of stuff, perhaps not words but phrases, being more offensive in one region than another, is exemplified by the first Top Gear American Special...they were driving through Alabama and had painted slogans on their cars. Stuff like...

"Hilary for President"
                              "Country and Western is Rubbish"
                              "NASCAR Sucks"

We over here giggle when we see them being honked at, but as we found out we didn't realise just how offensive those things were... But a few months ago we told/showed a mate from Nebraska about the special and what they wrote. His expression was -->

"Are they TRYING to get shot?"
                              "They nearly were "

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                              Nah, we don't call em Yankees, just Yank's.
                              A mate of mine from New Hampshire put it like this:

"To a Brit, a Yank is an American.
                              To an American, a Yank is someone from New York.
                              To a New Yorker, a Yank is an overpaid baseball player on the wrong team."

Amusing, but I can't say I actually know what the last one is referring to...

Comment

The Baseball team the New York Yankees I assume.

Comment

Working...
                                X