No announcement yet.

Get Dressed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like I said- some of us associate pajamas with a certain level of intimacy- not necessarily sexual intimacy, but generally knowing somebody very well, well enough that they would allow you to see them in such a state.

Seeing somebody in public like that can feel a bit like "TMI". Or it suggests laziness- the person literally rolled out of bed and didn't bother to change clothes.

Comment

I once saw a woman shopping in a supermarket in a very lowcut, very short babydoll. And bunny slippers. I think if your apparel is quite obviously meant to be worn during sexytimes, then you don't wear it when going grocery shopping.

I've also seen quite a few people in dirty/sagging/stained jammies; that is just so goddamn wrong I can't even...
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Sorry, Amanita, I had accidentally skipped over your previous post. I can see some merit in those reasonings - more so the "laziness" excuse, rather than the "forced intimacy" one.

Comment

Lace Neil Singer's example of those babydoll PJs worn in public would be a perfect example of the "forced intimacy" I referred to earlier- most people don't let themselves be seen in public in their lingerie.

Comment

Reminds me of the time a co-worker showed up in a bustier and claimed it was a "sleeveless blouse".

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
              Reminds me of the time a co-worker showed up in a bustier and claimed it was a "sleeveless blouse".
              Holy shit. That's just...good god. Was it retail or someplace where she could be seen by the public??? Either way, tacky - but worse if you're working with customers.

Comment

I live in China and many people, especially middle aged women will walk around in pajama like clothing with house shoes. I think usually they are just talking a morning walk, or is going to a nearby location, like the neighborhood market for something.

As long as the body is covered, I have no problem in what people wear as long as it doesn't insult another race or whatever.

Comment

I'm just surprised at the number of people I've seen wearing jammies with stains on. O.o Do they think that they have a magic invisibility button which means that people won't notice the staining?

Comment

My line on this topic is kind of wiggly my workout pants that I wear to physical therapy are also pants that I use as pjs sometimes. Of course, they are the straight leg sweatpants material. I think they are workout pants anyway. I can see the point of taking some pride in your appearance type thing. Pajamas in public feel about the same as the whole going out in public with the curlers still in your hair and stuff like that. On the other hand, it doesn't offend me either and sometimes, you do what you gotta do. That doesn't mean that when I run across the street to walgreens really quick after physical therapy that I don't feel a little weird being in workout pants and a t-shirt

Comment

All the replies are awesome, guys. And some very good points brought up.

I guess I should point out that I'm not really *offended*, per se - just sorta...taken aback? Is that a good definition?

I found myself thinking that even at my advanced age (42), my own mother would kick my ass if she saw me out in public in my pj's. Could also be a cultural thing, or an age thing - although some of the offenders I've noticed lately are even older than me.

Comment

I'm not sure if this was brought up, but there's a certain measure of respect that someone out and about in their bedclothes automatically loses the moment I see them. They get shoved into the same category as people who obviously haven't bothered to do basic grooming (such as taming bed-head) before walking out the door, idiots showing off their underwear by sagging, and women who think it's attractive to roll down the tops of their track pants to show off their dunlop guts to all and sundry.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that dismisses people to some degree based on these and similar criteria.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

^ Same here. If anyone could hear my innermost thoughts, especially my mental commentary, they'd think I was a complete and utter bitch.

I also lose respect for people who either have stains on bum or crotch and/or smell appallingly... that is multiplied to the nth degree with night attire.

Honestly, I have slob days, too. Sundays that I don't work for example are often spent hanging around the house, occassionally popping out to buy fags or a paper. However, I still manage to wash my face, brush my hair and slip on actual clothes, even in my most lazy mood. It takes, what, five minutes? I also manage to shower regularly, use deoderant and wash my clothes.

I don't care what your circumstances are; I am going to think badly of you if you slope into the petrol station wearing jammies with yellow stains on them and stinking of pee. True, I won't voice it or have my face showing anything more than blank civility, but you can bet I'm thinking it.

Comment

Now that I'm married and have a baby, honestly I've stopped caring about what I look like in public. It isn't like it matters if I am attractive to anyone else, I can't date them or hook up with them so what does it matter what I look like? In a way it's freeing but on the other hand a little depressing.

Comment

Whether or not others think you're attractive (or more specifically, not a lazy slob) has a whole lot more effect than just your hook up prospects.

You can not give a flying fig about how other people view how you look without looking like you couldn't be bothered to make even the most basic efforts at personal grooming and hygiene.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                                Meh. It's been so ungodly hot these past few weekends since I moved home, I'm sure the neighbors are sick of seeing me in short skirts and my bikini.
                                Unlikely, if your neighbours are heterosexual men Couldn't find the smilie for it, but this thread is useless without pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X