No announcement yet.

Annoying Argument Habbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who have to bring up stuff that happened 3 months, 6 months, 2 years, 10 years ago....

Comment

A little thing I like to call a perpendicular argument loop. Where you and the person you are arguing with keep firm to points that, while related to each other, aren't actually opposing each other. It's like getting into an argument about the rain where you're stance is 'rain is wet and I hate getting wet like that' and their stance is 'rain helps make things grow'; aside from both being stances on rain they have little to do with each other since neither invalidates or contradicts the other.
      But you argue about it anyway since ending the argument on 'your turn' means you lost, and you don't want to loose the argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
        I also hate when people quote random bible verses, quotes, or platitudes as their entire arguement. So pretentious!
        Worse is if it's not obvious what they mean by the quote, either because it doesn't seem directly applicable or because it could be applied in more than one way. And, of course, pointing this out makes you, in their minds, a total idiot. Or worse, when it's a Bible verse, get called names like "reprobate" because obviously if you had the Holy Spirit in you you'd be able to just magically know what they meant.

To be fair, I've never had anyone try that in person.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

You only get called reprobate? I get called godless heathen.

Of course if I agree with that, then they don't seem to know what else to say...

A Bible verse with nothing to back it up is not an actual argument though, ffs.
          "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Well, that depends on the context of the argument. (And I've been called worse as well.)
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
            X