internet explorer >:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gbm85 View Post
    What's next? Will Volvo be required to use Ford CD players and Honda instrument clusters?
    Uh, Volvo is. They've been part of Ford Motor Co. for years. This hasn't been a source of much innovation across Ford as a whole, but at least they haven't figured out some way for Volvos to start exploding.

It's off topic, I know, but I figure if this doesn't calm people's tempers on this particular argument, at least it'll draw fire.

Myself, I have IE 7 and Firefox, haven't had any particular problems as long as I've kept AVG and Spybot relatively updated.

Comment

Originally posted by yahurd View Post

i dont think command line is the way ubuntu rolls.
      It works both ways, actually. The command line way is the better way of doing things, according to my friend who uses it.

I myself use Firefox, despite knowing that it has some security flaws, because, basically, I like it, and I'm used to it, and I like how I can change the appearance of it. Nothing more, nothing less. (I like the purdy colours!)I don't hate IE. I still use it for various sites, (especially on my new vista laptop, since some sites I go to now, that I used to go to on XP freeze up completely.)

I've considered switching to Linux/Ubuntu.. And I may in the future. But for now,
      I see no real reason to, or risk to my system/my life because I'm using windows/IE etc.

I am a regular person. I use my computer for entertainment. So far, it hasn't tried to kill me, or create a black hole. If it does, THEN I'll probably change.

EDIT: Maybe.

EDIT 2:
      Originally posted by yahurd View Post
      its hitlers country but he wasnt allowed to genicide whoever he bloody well pleased.

Godwin's Law.
      Last edited by Spaniard; 07-28-2007, 09:34 PM.
      Beware the Spaniard (for he has a cutlass hidden on his person at all times.)

Comment

I used FireFox, I like it a hell of a lot more then IE. I love that it doesn't get pop-ups, I like all the add-ons

Comment

I could go into a long and rambling story about why I don't use Windows anymore, but that's not relevant. I switched to Linux about 5 1/2 years ago now, and haven't looked back.

Was Linux perfect? No. Is it perfect? No. Was it a superior experience for me? Yes.

Then came the rash of IE exploits, wherein new ones were being found almost daily. Applying all the latest security patches only meant that you were safe for another few hours. During all this time, I was grateful that I could not run IE, even if I wanted to.

Mozilla, and Firefox (yes, there was a time when it was just Mozilla) were the best browsers on Linux, period. I got used to them, and liked them. They gave me control over what I saw on various web sites that did not involve me setting up alternate DNS servers, modifying the system hosts file, and putting in filtering proxy servers. I could shut down cookies selectively, allowing me to avoid doubleclick (and other advertising companies).

My user experience improved with them as compared to what I had from IE at work (where I used it as minimally as possible). All in all, Firefox was superior.

Fast forward to today: I am now running OSX (which also has issues, but works better for me than both Windows and Linux, overall). Again, IE is not an option (IE 5 is too old, and too unsupported). Even if I wanted to run IE, it would not be a choice under this environment.

I still run IE for a few bits and pieces at work, but that's it. For me personally, if the site doesn't work right under Firefox, I move on to another site. Since I don't do Windows (don't bother asking me to, not even with Vista, I have no desire to try again, not until I'm seeing yet another new version which has many more positive reviews than negative reviews), I don't have IE.

Whether or not IE is more secure now than it was, it still has a very tarnished image for me. Firefox is not perfect, nor is OSX, but they do not have so tarnished an image. I do not feel like I am running a system that has more holes than good swiss cheese. And it will be a very long time before IE (any version) can shake that tarnished image, at least for me.

Oh, and if you really need me to, I'll look these up, but two particular patches happened within the past year that showed exactly how focused Microsoft is on security. If you watched the technical message boards, you know about the WMF security flaw that happened late last year. It took Microsoft nearly a full month to release that patch, in part because they promised to only release top-mega-ultra-violet-priority patches on anything other than Patch Tuesday.

On the other hand, when somebody found a vulnerability in one of their DRM systems which allowed the removal of DRM from various files, a patch was released within a few days, and was well out of the Patch Tuesday cycle.

That, right there, is more damning to me than most of anything else they could do. And if you would like to hear more about why I don't like Microsoft, please do ask. I'll start up another thread about why I don't like the company in general, instead of just IE.

Comment

Working...
          X