Stupid *new* words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
    I do find it humorous that people over the last 9+ months I've frequented imgur have been out dating themselves with the first ever selfie. "Here's a picture of one of the Beatles in the 60's taking a selfie in the mirror." next week "Here's someone from the 50's doing the same." etc.
    First known selfie, 1839

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
      [CSB]Linked article reminds me of something interesting. I've actually worked with daguerreotype plates before at my old store. Someone brought in a bunch of old (as in antique) photographs to have copies made on modern paper before they faded completely or became too damaged. Included in the collection was a set of about a dozen corroded daguerreotype plates. We had to scan them on the newer machines because the old older ones couldn't get anything usable off of them, and even on the more modern photo lab equipment, I had to spend about 20 minutes per plate adjusting brightness and contrast to make anything visible come out of those scans.[/CSB]
      "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
      TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

I was talking to a colleague today and mused about how insults come about, and whether or not we could popularise a made-up word such as 'flerb' and get that into the social media and popular. In a few years time, we could hear a child crying to its mother that a bigger child called him or her a 'flerb', and it would in due course be banned.

Anyone want to try spreading the flerbiness?

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Flerb off, ya flerbing flerb!

Comment

Smeg your smegging 'flerb' you smegging smeghead :P

Comment

I don't really mean to mention SoulCalibur again, but why not bring back "cur"? Or "knave?"
              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

I've got a coworker who routinely uses shit like 'cray-cray' and other stupid *new* words, and it drives me nuts. I went off on her yesterday about it, and she went on about the fluidity of language and how new words just make it more colourful. In my opinion, there are some words that just make the user sound stupid...such as 'cray-cray'. Shut up, use the actual word if you want me to take you seriously, or fuck off and leave me the hell along.

Comment

Working...
                X