No announcement yet.

people who "have" to set off firecrackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you know you dog dislikes storms and/or fireworks, and you also know that we are entering into a period of the year when it is very likely that fireworks (or storms) are going to be happening, it is your responsibility to discuss it with your veterinarian.

There are plenty of medications that can be given one or twice to help keep a dog calm during an event that would normally panic them.

Your vet may simply suggest benedryll, or prescribe something a little stronger depending on the level you describe your dog's panic.

Your dog will thank you, trust me, they don't want to be panicked any more than you want them to be.

Your dog. Your responsibility.

However, I will say that people shooting them off very late at night (which is hard to avoid, considering in July it doesn't get truly dark until ~9 PM) should be a bit more considerate.

Comment

In places where there are limitations on where fireworks can be set off I can understand pet owners being pissed off when somebody sets them off outside of those areas. The expectation would be that it is safe to be walking Rover down the street during firework season if that street is assumed to be firework free. When you have some yahoo taking it upon themselves to light any sort of firecracker on that street then, yes, the pet owner has the right to be pissed off.

I know several people who have invested in things like Thunder jackets or meds for their animals because they have already experienced the assholes not giving a shit where they set off their fireworks and the police not actively doing anything about it.

And the next fuckwit who gives me shit over not wanting fireworks set off in my neighbourhood - one where it is prohibited to set them off in the first place due to the trees and really old houses - and tells me that I'm not patriotic is going to end up with a lit firecracker where the sun doesn't shine -_- I'm patriotic to a point, but not where it seems to include endangering homes and lives.

Comment

If it is prohibited to set off the fireworks then that's a whole different story.

The point is, if it is not prohibited, then it should be the pet owner's responsibility to help their pet not go into a panic attack.

If you know that the police turn a blind eye during the July 4th period, I would still suggest talking to your veterinarian. You are justified in your annoyance and frustration, but for me, my pet's emotional state comes before my indignation at someone else lighting off fireworks.

Comment

Originally posted by patiokitty View Post
          And the next fuckwit who gives me shit over not wanting fireworks set off in my neighbourhood - one where it is prohibited to set them off in the first place due to the trees and really old houses - and tells me that I'm not patriotic is going to end up with a lit firecracker where the sun doesn't shine -_- I'm patriotic to a point, but not where it seems to include endangering homes and lives.
          Please reconsider. A "true" skyrocket (one that ends in a burst of magnesium flares, as opposed to a bottle rocket that's basically a small firecracker if it has ANY burst) would be much more effective than a firecracker - even an M80. Besides, with the stabilizing stick as an insertion aid, you don't need to risk getting feces on your hands.

Comment

Fireworks have been illegal in this state for decades. Granted that didn't stop people from going down to Ohio or Indiana to get them. Then our illustrious legislature decided to make them legal but not only did they make them legal, but they prohibited towns from passing ordinances against them within certain days of holidays (tell me that special interests didn't write this legislation). It has been getting progressively worse....this year it sounded like Fallujah.

Comment

This year we've had a fire ban which includes firecrackers and fireworks due to the drought. If any fireworks had gone off all hell would break loose because the fire department would pay you a visit to search the area for sparks and then charge you the cost for the search. Then add on top the fines from the county and state plus potential jail times keeps it under control.

The Yarnell fire was about over 1 hr away from where I live and no one here wants that again.
              "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Working...
              X