Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Leaves of Grass, my ass!"

Comment

Death has been something that has always been in my life.. so for me death is nothing more then a stage of the cycle of life. Many people find pictures of me holding my dead son "wrong", I dont fault them. But I do fault those that think I am disturbed, sick, nasty, gross, etc for me taking photos with me and hubby holding him. It is the only pictures I will ever have of him. I have removed the urn before I had the setup I do now, for one friend. That Friend had also lost a child as the little urn brought up painful thoughts.

Now I will not move him as he is on a little shelf with his teddy, the little body pillow that he used *if you didn't know better the pillow would look like a homemade wrist rest* his cup, a candle and incense and a couple of other things. It has helped me a lot.

I will not ever hang a picture of him as that would not be right since I watch my friends boys and they are not at the level where they would understand. They dont notice the shelf as it is above their heads. Not to mention they can unsettle people.

I tell people the reason I didn't have my son buried.. it is a felony *iirc* to dig up graves and I wouldn't think twice about it if I had to move. I was told my whole life I would never have children, and that little boy being alive those 2 weeks and 4 days proved some of the "top" doctors at UCD and such to be wrong and full of shit.

Cemeteries, Death Portraits, and things along that vain have always been interesting to me. I told my husband that when I die I want not a funeral with my body on display, I want to be cremated. Then if he is ok with it bury me with our son, and have a party to remember the good times. Funerals are not for the dead as they dont give a lick, they are for those who are left behind.

People forget that no one gets out of life alive. It is a stage that no matter what you believe or do not believe, happens to every living thing.

Sorry didnt mean to thread jack....

Morbid to me is the fear of death and going to extremes to post pone it... *do not hook me to machines unless there is a high chance of recovery*

Comment

Kimmik, I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't find that weird at all. Hell, should my husband die in the line of duty, I'm having him cremated, and even if I don't keep all of the ashes, I'm turning some of them into a diamond and wearing it in some manner.

I agree about funerals- most I'd want done is cremation so far. What the survivors do with my remains otherwise won't matter to me then.

Comment

Oh I definitely don't want a funeral when I go that costs thousands of dollars...what's the point?? Why buy an expensive casket that's just gonna sit in the ground? I like the Neptune Society way of doing things...you pay then in advance and when it's time they come get you and do whatever....feed you to the sharks for all I know. That is the way to go and then who ever is left can have a memorial if they want.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

My brother worked in the funeral industry for a while... turns out if you want to be cremated, you have to buy an expensive casket anyway, because they have to be made by the union.

But they don't actually burn that casket; the transfer you to essentially a corrugated box and that's what the body gets sent into the oven inside. >_<

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              My brother worked in the funeral industry for a while... turns out if you want to be cremated, you have to buy an expensive casket anyway, because they have to be made by the union.

But they don't actually burn that casket; the transfer you to essentially a corrugated box and that's what the body gets sent into the oven inside. >_<

^-.-^
              Then what are you paying for a casket for then? And what happens to it? You pay for it and then it's not even used? that's bs.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                Then what are you paying for a casket for then? And what happens to it? You pay for it and then it's not even used? that's bs.
                It is bs! I think I'm going to look into donating my body to medical science instead. Funerals cost way too much.
                People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

I'd prefer to be cremated, but it's up to whoever's left behind to plan the funeral. After all, funerals are for grieving family members and friends, not for the dead person.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                    I'd prefer to be cremated, but it's up to whoever's left behind to plan the funeral. After all, funerals are for grieving family members and friends, not for the dead person.
                    I'm so happy to hear someone else recognize this!

For the most part, no one should give a shit about what their own funeral is like. If I were dying, I would press upon my family members that there's no need for it to be expensive, but in the end, that's up to them. It's their party, not mine.

Comment

I'd prefer to be cremated, but only cuz it a) takes up less space and b) there's no chance of me being buried alive. O_o
                      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post

^-.-^
                        I'd read a book called The American Way of Death Revisited that said otherwise. You have to really lean on them to not do it but it is possible.

Comment

My grandma keeps my grandpa's ashes in an urn on one of the mantles. When my uncle died, my aunt kept his ashes on one of the shelves in her house. I don't see why some people would be so petty as to make a big deal out of it or make inane remarks. As far as I know, no one has said anything about grandpa's ashes being out.

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                            See that wouldn't bother me....
                            We have the box with McGriff's ashes on his favorite window perch with a photo, a few cat figures and some toys. Nobody who visits seemed squicked by that; it's a tasteful sort of shrine and the first thing people notice is the photo.

We don't know if Grandma wanted to be cremated or not, but by the time she finally died there wasn't any money left so we did that and scattered her ashes in the ocean near the old family house (the tide was going out but the ashes just sat there "lurking" until we got bored).
                            "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

My mom called me morbid when I took pictures of the graves of Fielding Yost, Bo Schembechler and Bob Ufer. It wasn't so much morbidness as these folks are people that I look up to. I can't really call them heroes though as that term gets thrown around sports all too often.

http://michiganexposures.blogspot.co...n-legends.html

And cemetaries have some pretty neat architecture.

Comment

I guess I'm morbid too then . . . .

I love the Crime Library site, as well as FindADeath . . . and those true crime novels are a hit with me as well.

Hell, I'll even read up on articles on different execution and burial methods (guess I've watched way too much NCIS.)

And why yes, I do like graveyards . . .
                                If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

Working...
                                X