Super (stupid?) Tuesday aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super (stupid?) Tuesday aftermath

I'm still rather undecided at this point, but after recent weeks' reading and observation, I think that a Clinton/Obama ticket would be the best bet. I personally lean towards Obama because I like him (he's smart and has his shit together, and isn't jaded enough to have been a career politician), but several folks I know have made compelling cases for having Clinton as well, and aside from a few beefs I have with some of her thoughts, she generally fits my mold as well. Pragmatism and experience combined with idealism and fresh energy, you get the best of both worlds there.

I DO NOT WANT a Republican. Period. I won't even consider them, because hey - look what having them in the past decade, past several decades, has gotten us: war, ideology masquerading as morality, abuse of religion, poverty, rollback of human rights (especially women's)... The entire Republican party is shot to hell with corruption of the very worst sort that's been going on for decades. The Dems may have their own problems, but at least as a general rule they acknowledge there's something seriously wrong and some of them genuinely are trying to fix that.

McCain's recent surge terrifies me, for reasons not the least of which is that rumors of his jumping into bed with the Religious Reich in order to score are flying fast and hard, and Huckabee's is the top name being bandied as possible vice-prez should (God forbid) McCain get in. And with McCain's health iffy (a very plausible scenario IMO), even more horrifying would be the possibility of Suckwitbee getting to the top. If that were to happen we can pretty much kiss our asses goodbye:

Suckwit is a *huge* proponent of dominionism (look it up and be afraid, be VERY afraid), doesn't believe in evolution or scientifically sound evidence versus ideological unproven belief, helped free a convicted rapist/murderer, and wants to eliminate all birth control and abortion rights (say what you will about the latter, but don't you DARE fuck with my BC). And (as if all that wasn't horrifying enough), need I remind you that we have an awful lot of Big Red Buttons lying around, and Suckwit is firmly in the camp of apocalyptic dominionism that thinks we have to literally destroy the world in order to 'save' it?

So yeah. If we're to have any hope whatsoever of salvaging this country I think Clinton and Obama are likely our best bets, regardless of who takes the top crown.
    ~ The American way is to barge in with a bunch of weapons, kill indiscriminately, and satisfy the pure blood lust for revenge. All in the name of Freedom, Apple Pie, and Jesus. - AdminAssistant ~

I do really like Clinton, but I don't think she should get the nomination. The right hates her so bad they'll come out in droves just to make sure she doesn't get elected, regardless of who gets their nomination.
    Personally, an Obama/Richardson or Obama/Biden ticket would be a dream team for me. Personality and charm combined with someone who's an absolute policy wonk with mileage both domestic and international would be like political masturbation for me.

I personally don't have a huge problem with Mccain. I think he's kind of had to play the game in his party to retain any credibility with them and reap any benefits, and that unfortunately means having to hob nob with idiots like Pat Robertson and his ilk. I do think that at his core he's a pragmatic and honorable man.

Comment

I don't think Clinton should get the nomination either, although I would support her over Obama. Clinton is too polarizing; if the Republicans go for McCain, he'll pick up most of the swing voters instead of Hilary. And the GOP can throw things at her that they can't at Obama, like "Why did you vote for the war in Iraq and then change your mind?"

The flip side is that the Clinton/Obama platforms appear to be nearly identical, right down to the numbers. I just feel like Obama is this empty shell of a candidate - all flash and no substance. I believe he's been pressured into running too early.

Huckabee is a frightening prospect indeed. If you want a Democrat in the White House, root for him to nail down the nomination. There are many Republicans who distrust dominionists too, and they have been disappointed that their party has been catering to these nuts. A Huckabee/Obama match could possibly swing the secular Republicans into voting Democrat.

Comment

Yeah thigns are getting ugly in this race. No real candidates. I was for Obama but the more he talkls the less I like him. Its like he got a hold of Clinton's campaign book and changed a few words at times and then he just looks hollywood to me. Like hes playing a role hes not quite ready for. Not to mention that the further we go along the smarmier he gets.

I'll agree the Clinton hatred of the right is so irrational and strong that you could put himmler, stalin or Hitler himself up on the republican
        side and they'd vote for him just to keep her out of the white house.

I was a fan of Edwards but he apparently wasnt popular enough or a strong enough playah of the game to last.

McCain is probably my favorite republican as he has the experience, he has the guts and skills. He know what war is like so he might be a bit mre reserved about just throwing soldiers into the fire like used up pieces in a game of risk.

Huckabee just scares me. For th aforementioned reasons by others. Having him anywhere near a position of power is not a good idea.

And i just saw on the news that Romney has dropped out of the race as well. Not that mr perfect would have been a great president he at least had the looks. Made me think back to the reagon years with him. And we at least survived that (barely) so if I had to have a republican then he would have been the least unpleasant.

Thats whats really sad about american politics.People are not lookin for who the best candidate is but the least unpleasant one in manny ways.

Comment

Well, all of the Republicans are completely against abortion and stem cell research, health care can kiss their asses, and they don't know a thing about education. None of them will get my vote.

Obama and Clinton are pretty much the same on every issue. Obama places a special emphasis on math and sciences for education, which is good for me as a chem major. Clinton is a pretty smart individual and is level-headed. Obama isn't an old geezer and as such, will at least aim high for the things he wants and will try to get them done.

Net result: Go Edwards!
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Net result: Go Edwards!
            Yeah too bad he dropped out. Or did he decide to jump back into the ring? I swear all you hear about on the news is obama clinton clinton obama. Its almost getting to the point where it sounds like their the only ones really running.

Comment

Originally posted by rahmota View Post
              Yeah too bad he dropped out. Or did he decide to jump back into the ring? I swear all you hear about on the news is obama clinton clinton obama. Its almost getting to the point where it sounds like their the only ones really running.
              Who gives a crap about some white guy running for president? It wouldn't be the first time a white guy won.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by rahmota View Post
                McCain is probably my favorite republican as he has the experience, he has the guts and skills. He know what war is like so he might be a bit mre reserved about just throwing soldiers into the fire like used up pieces in a game of risk.

And i just saw on the news that Romney has dropped out of the race as well. Not that mr perfect would have been a great president he at least had the looks.
                I don't trust McCain. I lost all respect I ever had for him (which wasn't much to begin with) when he made that crack about bombing Iran at a fundraiser some time ago. Who's to say that he wouldn't do it if he had the power to, regardless if it was merited or not? No thank you, we've fucked up the Middle East quite enough.

I also don't think McCain has a spine worth speaking of, given that he's caved to the Shrubictator so often on many things, even after those assholes smeared him shamelessly in the 2000 elections. I don't think he's nearly the honorable and trustworthy type he makes himself out to be.

Romney reminds me of a used-car snake-oil salesman. I didn't think he'd get terribly far. There was that, and the plain 'ol fact that if you're anything other than "Xtian" America won't vote for you, period. Sucks, but that's the way it currently stands. Hell, I'd vote for a gay black transgendered multipierced atheist if I thought they could do the job worth a damn...
                ~ The American way is to barge in with a bunch of weapons, kill indiscriminately, and satisfy the pure blood lust for revenge. All in the name of Freedom, Apple Pie, and Jesus. - AdminAssistant ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst Hunter View Post
                  Hell, I'd vote for a gay black transgendered multipierced atheist if I thought they could do the job worth a damn...
                  Pretty much. I don't really care if a candidate has boobs or a handle, what color he/she is or whether they like it in the pooper, as long as they're useful, who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
                    as long as they're useful, who cares?
                    And that they don't sink us into economic chaos or get us all killed - which I firmly believe Huckabee WOULD do, and worse, he'd do it with a sick sort of glee, if he was allowed anywhere near any semblance of power.

Comment

I don't really care if a candidate has boobs or a handle,
                      Can I vote with boobs, please? Just on general principles.

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I'm just pleased you've got a black candidate and - what, two female candidates?

(I'd almost like to see one of the female candidates get it, just to watch your press try to decide what to call her husband. First Lord?)

Anyway: congratulations on getting that far. Even just having them seriously in the running should be a matter of pride.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat View Post
                          Anyway: congratulations on getting that far. Even just having them seriously in the running should be a matter of pride.
                          And it only took us what, over 200 years to get to that point? Sheesh, other countries supposedly less 'advanced' than we purport to be have had female/black/other leaders long before... I blame our stupid Puritan Protestant streak.

Although we have had one or two women run for President in the past...I think Geraldine Ferraro ran once in the 1980s...it's just that no one has gotten this far enough to be considered a serious contender.

On the one hand, I can kind of see why it's such a big deal (and I agree; watching the media stumble all over themselves trying to figure out if they should call the guy the 'First Husband' or something else would be highly amusing). On the other hand, it shouldn't matter whether the candidate is male or female or black or white or whatever. But, this is how the current climate stands, so we have to work with what we've got. :/

Comment

Pretty much. I don't really care if a candidate has boobs or a handle, what color he/she is or whether they like it in the pooper, as long as they're useful, who cares?
                            Unfortunately, not every has at least an average IQ like you. There are a lot of people who will vote, or not vote, for someone because of their race/sex.

Comment

It's not helped by the media making such a big deal over it. We have CNBC on all day at work--yes, I know it sucks--but the coverage is *heavily* tilted towards Clinton and Obama. They did the same thing over Tiger Woods and Danica Patrick...and now you don't hear those names as often

Anyway, I don't have any respect for Hillary. I think she's still tainted from her husband's various "Zippergate" scandals. Also, I think she's rather stuffy. As for Obama, I don't think he has enough experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X