No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It took a lot of willpower for me to keep from bursting out laughing. I couldn't figure out if he was serious, if it was just idle flattery, or if he was delusional...I never told anyone, in part because I didn't think they would believe me."

Robert Gates on being approached by Harry Reid about the possibility of being Obama's 2008 running mate

My vote's on delusional.

Comment

• Biden made a lot more sense, and seems to have worked out well enough so far.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• "Men today have learned the lesson the hard way that if you act like kind of an old-fashioned guy's guy, you're in constant danger of slipping out and saying something that's going to get you in trouble and make you look like a sexist or make you look like you seem thuggish or whatever. That's the atmosphere in which [Chris Christie] operates."

Brit Hume

And is promptly smacked upside with the clue by four of public opinion for it. It makes a BEAUTIFUL sound.

Comment

• "Every Republican who has entered the fray defending Christie has to put a caveat out there -- 'if he's telling the truth.' Now, if there were a fervent ideological foundation, if there was a substantive reason of believing in Governor Christie, then whether he lied wouldn't matter. They'd be out there defending him left and right just to make sure the Democrats don't get away with this."

Rush Limbaugh

Uh no. The fact that they are trying to defend him in the first place is indicative of the ideological foundation. If there wasn't, then he'd be out on his ass.

And the democrats getting away with what? Telling the truth? Clearly to the GOP that's a capital offense.

Comment

• "The Supreme Court has said they didn't see any biological evidence to support marriage being between a man and a woman. They need some basic plumbing lessons."

Rep. Louie Gohmer

Funny, I wasn't aware procreation was required for marriage. That would be news to more than a few married couples for whom marriage served as a sterilizing agent.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
              "Every Republican who has entered the fray defending Christie has to put a caveat out there -- 'if he's telling the truth.' Now, if there were a fervent ideological foundation, if there was a substantive reason of believing in Governor Christie, then whether he lied wouldn't matter. They'd be out there defending him left and right just to make sure the Democrats don't get away with this."

Rush Limbaugh

Uh no. The fact that they are trying to defend him in the first place is indicative of the ideological foundation. If there wasn't, then he'd be out on his ass.

And the democrats getting away with what? Telling the truth? Clearly to the GOP that's a capital offense.
              Well really, if he is being truthful about not having any prior knowledge, I'd say he's pretty safe.

Also the point of that quote was Rush pointing out how Democrats swarm around any member of their party who is accused of a fraudulent act in an attempt to prevent the accusations from gaining traction.

The concept that went over his head is that all political parties are based on fervent idealogical foundations. You dont really start a political party on planks you feel 'meh' about.

Comment

• "Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. No, no, no."

Mitt Romney, on the idea of running for president again

Well, at least he's in line with the majority of the voting public.

Comment

• I'll admit, I would've like Romney better if he hadn't been so bad at playing the moderate game. Best moment I saw of him was when he was defending his religion with that radio host. I would've liked to have seen more of that Romney.
                  I has a blog!

Comment

• "They were helpless before their government just as we are helpless before our government."

VA state Sen. Richard H. Black on why the German people didn't stop the Holocaust

"We managed to shut down the government with no impact to ourselves but we're helpless!"

Then again, given the source, I'm inclined to believe he needs psychiatric help.

Comment

• "I wish I could go back and be more uniting in my language. Because I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the country apart."

Glenn Beck on his years with Fox

If Beck wasn't such a habitual liar I would call it an epiphany. Problem is only the venue has changed, not the message. He's still a raging bigot intent on claiming that anyone who doesn't fall in lockstep with the GOP insanity is a facist communist.

Comment

• yes and no. I'm guessing it IS an epiphany- but one that FOX is splitting the country apart, which pretty much is true. He thinks that during his job at fox he helped rip the country apart- not through the actual message.

he's still an asshole, though.

Comment

• "If the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it."

Mike Huckabee

Still on this are we? Even if he was spot on (no, hell has better odds of hitting below zero than that) it's better than being told you're nothing more than an incubator.

Comment

• "Our ties could not be deeper, and our job is to deepen them."

NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio on the U.S. and Israel

I present to you the new ammunition in the logic impossibility arsenal when the computer uprising begins.

Comment

• “I read the newspapers and look at all the stupid questions you all ask.”

-- Thurman Thomas during a Super Bowl Media Day years ago.

Super Bowl Media Day is the Tuesday before the Super Bowl. Some of the questions reporters ask are really dumb.

Mental Floss
                              Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

• Well, to be fair, it's not exactly one sided.

"I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its 'one percent,' namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the 'rich.'...Kristallnacht was unthinkable in 1930; is its descendant 'progressive' radicalism unthinkable now?"

venture capitalist Tom Perkins

Two problems with this:

1. The evidence of the 'rich' damaging the country is factual and not a political fabrication.
                                2. The 'rich' aren't being imprisoned and convicted in kangaroo courts because they're rich. In fact, they're able to walk away from actual crimes with no punishment.

But of course, he's got to go for the Godwin to try and make himself out to be the victim.

Comment

Working...
                                X