No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'll tell you what my definition of torture is: what nineteen guys armed with airline tickets and boxcutters did to 3,000 Americans on 9/11."

Dick Cheney

I swear Cheney's response to the torture report can supply the Say What section with quotes for another year.

Comment

• "Going back a full half-century...i.e. to 1964 -- there have been only three elections (midterm or presidential) in which a Bush or a Clinton hasn't been on the ballot somewhere for something."

Aaron Blake

This is one of those points where if you're trying to make people feel comfortable with the current situation, the best advice is to stop talking.

Comment

• "We've had four months of propaganda, starting with the president, that everybody should hate the police."

former NYC mayor Rudy Giuliani

Uhh, when did he wake up? That propaganda has been going on for 40 years and certainly didn't start with any president.

Comment

• "[Railways] altered the main course of the [Christmas] meal, which was traditionally goose. Before steam, animals were herded to market alive, and turkeys were such poor walkers that they needed little leather boots to protect their feet, and a second fattening-up period at the end of the march, which made them rare and expensive. With the arrival of trains, the price of turkeys dropped, and their large size made them perfect for equally large Victorian families."

Judith Flanders

I'll grant some truth to this, but what she attributes to the railways itself were in actuality more accurately attributable to refrigeration.

In the UK, the use of turkey in the meal is (as best recorded) from the 16th century, preceding the first railways by 200 years. In fact, when the first railways were set up and those were not suitable for perishable freight, there was a shift to using the goose as the predominant main course for working class families as goose was more readily available until the Victorian era a full century later when commercial refrigeration was more viable for transport.

Comment

• "So many people want me to, I'm giving it total consideration."

Donald Trump, on running for president again

"Me, myself, and I" do not qualify as "many people". Though given his ego, if size was a factor it could count as a continent.

Comment

• With how much failure that man has accumulated, it's a wonder anyone considers him worth listening to. Didn't he manage to run two or three companies into the ground?
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                "Me, myself, and I" do not qualify as "many people". Though given his ego, if size was a factor it could count as a continent.
                You forgot about his hair.

Comment

• If you add to that editorial cartoonists, Daily Show writers, etc., then it might indeed be "many people."
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• "The United States of America is awesome. We are awesome. We've closed the book on [torture], and we've stopped doing it...This administration wants to have this discussion to show us how we're not awesome. They apologized for this country, they don't like this country. They want us to look bad."

Fox News co-host Andrea Tantaros on Senate torture report

Sadly, this does not surprise me. This is the same group of people who have also said "we eliminated racism" as well.

Comment

• "The most important [project] in the history of humanity."

Chinese billionaire/impresario Wang Jing, on the Nicaragua Canal

Someone flunked history and current events apparently.

Comment

• "We all know that one of the things the Senate is best at doing is not doing much. Why don't we get started?"

Sen. Mitch McConnell

Hey, honesty from the senate! who knew it was possible?

Comment

• "Had he not been so narcissistic, he may still be alive."

Catholic League president Bill Donohue, on Charlie Hebdo editor Stephane Charbonnier

Sadly I've been seeing a lot of blaming the victim in regards to this.

Comment

• "Freedom of expression does not extend to insulting the Prophets of Allah, whatever your views on the events in Paris today."

Wednesday tweet by British Muslim activist Anjem Choudary

Way to preach tolerance there.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                              Wednesday tweet by British Muslim activist Anjem Choudary Way to preach tolerance there.
                              Just an FYI, Anjem Choudary is to Islam like the WBC is to Christianity - intentionally stirring up hate and outrage without any real connection to what the majority believe.

Comment

• Yeah I'm aware. I was just having trouble coming up with a response that properly translated what I was feeling that would not result in me getting permabanned. (and trust me, no matter what the rules are, I would have.)

Comment

Working...
                                X