No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Republicans, of course, have turned against Obama, and the Democrats have also turned against Obama...Gas under $3 a gallon. Unemployment under 6% -- whoever thought? Stock market breaking records every day. No wonder the guy is so unpopular."

David Letterman

David seems to forget that these things don't help the 1% directly so it doesn't matter.

Comment

• "Despite your view -- and policies -- that government must lord over women, in keeping with radical liberalism, you have to fake support for our equal rights; so you do it in a militant sort of way to compensate for your confusion. On pretending to know what's best for us you've got nothing but a silent scream demanding, 'Hear me roar!'"

Sarah Palin on President Obama

Oh look, the crazy's talking again...

Comment

• "It would make Obama cry."

robocall to Kansas voters on why they should vote for Pat Roberts

"Screw fixing the country! Vote for me to hurt Obama!" At least he's honest about his intentions...

Comment

• "The world is on the brink of a new Cold War. Some are even saying that it's already begun... To put it metaphorically, a blister has now turned into a bloody, festering wound."

former Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev

I can't really disagree with this. The U.S is doing everything it can to try to stay as the only superpower while Putin is egging on constantly more aggressive actions. Meanwhile disagreeing with the party line on BOTH sides is forcing more and more oppressive actions.

Comment

• "Obamacare for the internet."

Sen. Ted Cruz on net neutrality

I wonder if Cruz is aware at just how many tech companies are in Texas now.

Comment

• actually, he's right, but not in the way he thinks. Obamacare is designed to stop you getting unaffordable large bills when you need healthcare. Net neutrality means companies can't charge unaffordable large bills to access popular websites. ( because i can guarantee you that the first thing to happen if net neutrality goes will be that you have to pay through the nose for access to facebook, twitter, etc at non-glacial speeds.)

Comment

• Oh I agree. I was originally going to put "so you mean effective and generally a good thing?" But you have to consider he used Obamacare as opposed to ACA because he wants to shut it down and is trying to garner support.

Comment

• Right now, I cannot watch Cartoon Network because Dish and Turner(?) are having a spat. Whoever "wins," subscribers will wind up paying more, even yhose who don't watch the affected channels.

I can't WAIT for the internet to work the same way...
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• "I am a United States Army general, and I lost the Global War on Terrorism. It's like Alcoholics Anonymous; step one is admitting you have a problem. Well, I have a problem. So do my peers. And thanks to our problem, now all of America has a problem, to wit: two lost campaigns and a war gone awry."

Daniel P. Bolger in his book Why We Lost

It's interesting to hear those who say "we screwed up" are the ones who have had to deal with the mess.

Comment

• "Ted Cruz Saves America"

title of a new kids' coloring book, whose publisher claims "Millions of citizens believe Obama Care is worse than any war"

I'd have something to say about this but it's old news at this point.

Comment

• "Contacts between Latin America and Islam date back to the 12th century. Muslims discovered America in 1178, not Christopher Columbus."

Recep Tayyip Ertogan, President of Turkey

And the vikings still have 200 years up on Muslims. It seems like Europe was simply late to the party.

Comment

• "The demonization of carbon dioxide is just like the demonization of the poor Jews under Hitler. Carbon dioxide is actually a benefit to the world, and so were the Jews."

William Harper, Princeton Professor of Physics, Emeritus, on climate change

So now we know someone of the 3% of the scientific community who thinks climate change is a myth.

Comment

• "I'm sure it's just one of Michelle's ancestors -- probably harmless."

prominent GOP activist Rusty DePass, on report that a gorilla had escaped from a Columbia, South Carolina zoo

Now that was uncalled for.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                              "I'm sure it's just one of Michelle's ancestors -- probably harmless."

prominent GOP activist Rusty DePass, on report that a gorilla had escaped from a Columbia, South Carolina zoo

Now that was uncalled for.
                              Huh. Funny thing... The first Michele that came to mind for me was Bachmann...
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                                Huh. Funny thing... The first Michele that came to mind for me was Bachmann...
                                Me too. Took me a second to realize he meant the first lady and was being a complete asshole.
                                "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                                TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Working...
                                X