No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Those of you in the media and politics who fed this hysteria need to look at what you helped create. Because you have unleashed a monster."

Bob Filner, resigning as mayor of San Diego in the wake of 18 allegations of sexual harassment

So does this mean the count of the allegations is going to double by next week? It sure sounds to me like all he learned was he wasn't doing enough.

Comment

"The homosexual community has put these draconian laws on the books that prohibit people from discussing this particular affliction. You can tell somebody you had a heart attack, you can tell them they've got high blood pressure, but you can't tell anybody you've got AIDS."

Pat Robertson

I would love to see this law that says this. Oh wait, It's coming from a known militant homophobe. Mr. Robertson can go f*** himself seeing as no one else apparently will.

Comment

Considering that later in the clip he claimed that gay people have special rings so they can transfer AIDs via their bodily fluids and by cutting people whose hands they shake, I'm surprised they used that one.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Yeah at first I thought who would sanely say shit like that then I remembered that Robertson isn't what one would call sane.

Comment

"They asked a long list of Republicans to come and to a man and woman they said 'no.'"

Julian Bond on Wednesday's ceremony marking the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington

I would say I'd be surprised but I would be lying. For many (if not most) of them, the fact that Obama was there would have been reason enough.

Comment

First responders cause harm...
              __

Seen on a sign attached to the back of a mobile hobo-shack. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to catch the rest of the sign, which was in smaller print, other than to note it included something about woman and children.
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"Hello to all of you here in the studio, watching from home, or reading my prompter at the NSA. Spoiler alert, guys -- this is the next sentence."

Stephen Colbert

Now this is how you protest an action. You don't scream at it, you mock it and make it seem foolish.

Comment

"I think they are big liars."
                  —Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad, on Red Crescent officials' claim that their ambulances were not allowed to go to the aid of sarin gas victims

This pretty much spells out the issue in Syria. Both sides are trying to get foreign support, both are saying the other are horrendous people and no one knows the reality.

Comment

"Stronger than the smell."
                    —slogan proposed by Roxbury, NJ residents unhappy with landfill stench, riffing off the state's post-Sandy "Stronger than the storm" campaign

*snerk*

Once again, protest through humour is the best way to go about it.

Comment

I'd say Red Cross/Red Crescent is far more trustworthy than the Syrian government.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

"It takes one to know one, jackass...You don't get to judge me because you have shown no sign that you are superior to me and you are not my God."
                        —NYC mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner, during heated exchange with a constituent in a Brooklyn deli

You know, at some point he has to realize that he just might want to keep his big trap shut for a change.

Comment

"Let me tell you what we're doing [about Obamacare]. Everything in our power to be an obstructionist. We have passed a law that says that a navigator, which is a position in that exchange, has to be licensed by our Department of Insurance. The ObamaCare law says that we cannot require them to be an insurance agent, so we said fine, we'll just require them to be a licensed navigator. So we're going to make up the test, and basically you take the insurance agent test, you erase the name, you write 'navigator test' on it."
                          —Ralph Hudgens, Georgia State Insurance Commissioner

Sounds like someone's running for congressman for the Republican party to me.

Comment

I should pay more attention; I thought Oxendine was still our insurance commissioner.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

"We have seen the threat that the Muslim Brotherhood has posed here for the people in Egypt. We have seen the threat that the Muslim Brotherhood has posed around the world. We stand against this great evil. We are not for them. We remember who caused 9/11 in America. We remember who it was that killed 3,000 brave Americans."
                              —Rep. Michele Bachmann, in Egypt

Yup, the republicans are still on the "all Muslims are evil" bandwagon.

Comment

to be fair, the Muslim Brotherhood aren't exactly acting peacefully in Egypt right now, so there is more substance than usual to tying the MB to islamic terrorists. ( I'm not convinced, mind)

Comment

Working...
                                X