No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've said this before about the Republicans. I respect the balls it takes to run a political party with a platform that includes "People who vote for me are too stupid to make their own decisions."
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

"We just want to help the American people get through one of the most insidious laws created by man."
      —Rep. Todd Rokita on the government shutdown

Uh huh, because legal slavery and the laws that prompted the holocaust were SO much better than trying to get health insurance for everyone.

Comment

"It's time to tell Congress to go to hell. It's the right thing to do."
        —Senior U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf

I... can't really argue this. He makes too much sense.

Comment

"I want to punish these people. Sorry to say that, but that's what I want to do."
          —Fox Business host Stuart Varney, on federal employees seeking back pay for time furloughed

Go. To. Fucking. Hell.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
            "I want to punish these people. Sorry to say that, but that's what I want to do."
            —Fox Business host Stuart Varney, on federal employees seeking back pay for time furloughed

Go. To. Fucking. Hell.
            It's not their fault that they were not at work for almost 3 weeks.
            Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Originally posted by catcul View Post
              It's not their fault that they were not at work for almost 3 weeks.
              Not the workers, I feel they should get their back pay. I'm talking about Varney.

Comment

"The vast majority of people see Obama and the Democrats as unwilling to compromise...I actually think right now that it's the Democrats who are seen pushing Granny over the cliff."
                —Rush Limbaugh

*Yawn* another day, another Limbaugh "The Dems are EBIL!" statement.

Comment

"Management."
                  —how Karl Rove referred to Dick Cheney during the Bush presidency -- as in "Better check with Management."

I don't have a comment on this one.

Comment

That's not particularly strange. It sounds a lot like Dad sometimes referring to Stepmom as "the committee," for example saying he can't bring home the junk tractor he saw for sale because it "wouldn't get past the committee."
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• "The only reason we went into Iraq, I tell people now, is we were looking for somebody's ass to kick. Afghanistan was too easy."
                      —a senior Bush official, in Days of Fire: Bush and Cheney in the White House

At least someone is being honest.

Comment

• I've never heard of attacking Afganistan being described as easy. For that matter, it shows quite an ignorance of history. ( seriously, any historian could have told you what would happen. The British tried to conquer Afganistan, and were forced to withdraw, the soviets tried, and were forced to withdraw, and now the Americans. About the only difference is this time, there is some evidence the regime left in might survive. ( the Taliban seem more interested in Americans Out than islamic fundamentalism these days)

Comment

• I never said he was being smart, just honest.

"I don't feel the county should be looking for new ways to give away taxpayer money. Next it could be giving money out to people's pets or whatever."
                          —Tom Creighton, a PA county commissioner, explaining his opposition to benefits for same-sex couples

Now that's a new approach to the "homosexuality leads to bestiality" argument. Still brain dead stupid, but creative.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                            Now that's a new approach to the "homosexuality leads to bestiality" argument.
                            In a somewhat twisted way, it does. More and more, society is leaning toward "So long as they don't make passes at me, I don't care" attitude toward gays. The Republicans, in order to be nominated in the primaries, have to cater to both the Tea Party and the Religious Right - making their candidates less and less attractive to voters in general. TL;DR - due to their policies toward gays, they've "screwed the pooch" so far as getting elected is concerned.

Comment

• I laughed at that probably more than I should have.

"We believe we did it for the right reasons. We believe it was good policy."
                              —Rep. Rick Mulvaney on the shutdown

"We feel like acting like the terrorists we scream about is a good thing."

"Riiiight..."

Comment

• "I have dealt with people who are deaf and you rebuke the spirit of deafness and they get healed. I don't know what you're doing wrong. Why don't you try that and if it doesn't work, try something else."
                                —Pat Robertson, to a woman who asked why her son's hearing had not been repaired by her prayers

I don't know what's worse. Robinson trying to convince people that miracles can happen on demand, or the lady actually believing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X