Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 21, 2011 is ...

...the end of the world!

At least according to Family Radio Worldwide, which is a loosely grouped Christian ministry lead a gentleman named Harold Camping who has based his date and calculations on the Bible itself.

There will be the Rapture, on May 21, 2011, where the chosen will be taken to Heaven and the rest of those left on Earth will be tormented until the end of times which will happen sometime in October, 2011.

At least one person who is a follower of Mr. Camping is driving around the country with her car engraved with the End of Times message getting it out there for people to repent and get ready for May, 2011.
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Back when I was in junior high, everyone knew the rapture would happen in 1986.Then, I think it was 1988. Don't these people remember that the Bible states quite clearly that no one knows the day or hour; that it will happen unexpectedly, when people aren't prepared for it? When May 11 passes, they'll say that they miscalculated somehow and it's actually September 27, 2013.

Comment

No matter what happens, they won't accept that they were wrong.

"If May 21 passes and I'm still here, that means I wasn't saved. Does that mean God's word is inaccurate or untrue? Not at all," Warden said.
      So they believe in predestination - that God has already decided who's going to be "saved," and nothing anyone does can change that. Then what's the point telling anybody when the end of the world will be? What good is a warning (even if true) if you can't do anything to prepare for it?

Past predictions that failed to come true don't have any bearing on the current calculation, believers maintain.

"It would be like telling the Wright brothers that every other attempt to fly has failed, so you shouldn't even try," said Chris McCann, who works with eBible Fellowship, one of the groups spreading the message.
      This board really needs the :rofl: smilie. Because decoding a code in the Bible, which may or may not actually be there, is so much like running tests in a wind tunnel, calculating the best power to weight ratio, and experimenting to find the best wing design. Not to mention that powered flight is desirable, while the end of the world is not.
      "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

May 21, 2011 is ...
        ...the end of the world!

Pure. Unadulterated. Bullshit.

Everybody knows that December 21, 2012 is the end of the world!

Mike
        If I Were a Master Debater, You'd Likely Catch Me Fratching on a Daily Basis!

Comment

So... are they reading the original writings?

Or are they reading multiply-transcripted and translated versions?

Circle of life, people. There is no end that is not also a beginning.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            Circle of life, people. There is no end that is not also a beginning.
            Assuming, for the moment, that god-claims are true, what if it is the end of God's experiment? He destroys the Earth and all life on it, then starts over with some other planet in some other solar system. Or maybe he destroys all humans and lets the snapping turtles evolve into the next technology-possessing, Earth-subduing species. It might be a new beginning, but it would be the end for humans.
            "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

And here we see the dark side of religion folks. This ia fear mongering, plain and simple. There is no way to know when the end of the world will come. Though I give them credit for at least trying, unlike the majority of the rapture crowd who live in fear of a ticking time bomb that may never go off.

Originally posted by JustaCashier View Post
              Pure. Unadulterated. Bullshit.

Everybody knows that December 21, 2012 is the end of the world!

Mike
              Yeah, I'm surprised not many rapture people came to that conclusion. I'm very very skeptical about end of the world theories, but if I had to pick a day where I believed it would happen, that would be the day.

Comment

Not every Christian is obsessed with Rapture or the next time that God is going to "destroy" humans.

I take what happened with the arc to mean more. God realized the mistake he made trying to get rid of everything he created, and promised to not do it again.

Of course, everyone is open to interpret the Bible and all the various parts of it and their meanings their own way (for instance, gay bashers reference the "A man shall not lay with a man", where I reference John 3:16 for my opinion on that matter).

Comment

Not to mention that powered flight is desirable, while the end of the world is not.
                  Well... THAT, at least, has nothing to do with it, as they're not trying to cause the end of the world, but only to guess when it will be. That it will end sometime we know already.

I'm going to predict that the world will end on August 15th, 5672123774. Or at least, what would be then if our current calendar could continue that far.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

As a Catholic, I am supposed to believe in the Rapture.

But really ... No one knows when it's supposed to happen.

That's the beauty of keeping the masses in line: Tell them they have to be good because at any minute people will be taken up to Heaven and the rest of the people will be tormented until God decides to end their suffering too by destorying the earth.

Kinda goes against the whole "the rainbow is a sign that God will not going to such extremes to destory the world" thing. But that's just me.

Be good because you love your God and want to set an example. Not so you can be the "few chosen" to get to Heaven first.
                    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Come to think of it, Rum, this would be a great topic to bring up to my Mom to see what she thinks. I'll get back to you guys with her take tomorrow.

Comment

I don't think Catholics are supposed to believe in the rapture. At least not in the same way that the pre-millenial dispensationalists do.

But as for putting a date on the end of the world.

Well, put it this way. They weren't right before. DOn't see why they'd be right again.
                        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

My mom's perspective on this might be interesting too. I'll have to ask her next time I talk to her.

Comment

I was talking about this sort of thing with my parents lately. Considering how many times Jesus was "SURELY" going to return... The guy's pretty crap at keeping appointments. You'd think he'd be better, son of god and all.
                            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                              I was talking about this sort of thing with my parents lately. Considering how many times Jesus was "SURELY" going to return... The guy's pretty crap at keeping appointments. You'd think he'd be better, son of god and all.
                              Not like you'd know it if he did anyway. I mean a brown liberal activist hippy? He'd be run out of town in a matter of hours down in any Christian Nation(tm) area. >.>

Comment

Working...
                              X