May 21, 2011 is ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
    On the upside, you must get wifi in the afterlife.
    Wifi is good, but being surrounded by a bunch of Virginians is kind of lame.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

• Camping's prediction is all around numerology. It relies on Jesus having been Crucified on April 1, AD 33, and notations that numbers 5 = atonement, 10 = completeness, 17 = heaven.

I don't know about the date of Crucifixion (is April 1, 33 AD usually considered correct?) but where did he get the number = word bits?

Also... He seems to be one of those splinter bits of extremist Calvinism that sees the predestined Saved as a tiny group. Westboro Baptist does this, saying only the members of Westboro Baptist are the Saved. Camping says that only 3% of the world's population are Saved and will be Raptured.

Comment

• I'm still here.

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
        So, I see none of you were worthy of Rapture either... how disappointing.
        Which brings up an interesting question...

Let's just say that the Rapture is happening right now, and we're not seeing it. I mean, 'wheels are in motion' and all that, what will bring about the destruction of all that is us is starting out slow and steady.

Since today was the day that Camping said the righteous would be taken up to Heaven, and he and his followers are still here...

Wouldn't that mean that he's not worthy?

I'd like to see him try to explain THAT to his flock!

Comment

• I'm still here.

I knew it wouldn't happen. Many times, someone has predicted the end of the world, fleeced people for lots of money, and, anticlimatically, it never happens. You'd think folks would figure it out by now, especially since the Bible did indeed predict that jerks would be doing this.

These con artists are relying upon people being too lazy to do the research themselves (it's not like a Bible is difficult to find, you know?). And too stupid to learn from past mistakes. It's very sad.

For the record, I am a Christian, I do believe that Jesus will return, but only God knows when. It's pointless to try and even guess when; it's our duty to live our lives in the best way possible and follow His teachings.
          People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
          If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

• Well, I just came back from a really, really dead SCA event (which actually was a lot of fun, but hardly anyone showed up) and we figured it was because either there was a Renfaire going on close by or the Rapture had mistakenly taken all the Wiccans instead.

Comment

• Here's the text of my May 22 journal entry on dA.

Everyone still here?

Good.

So once again, Harold Camping and his caravan of doomsayers (that'd be a great name for a metal band) have been proven wrong, this time in the most spectacular, hilarious fashion. All that money down the drain. All those lives ruined. All those psychological scars sure to be seen on the Campingites and their kids.

Truly hilarious, let me tell you.

But the thing with doomsday cults is that they'll never--NEVER--admit they were wrong. They'll just say "whoops, we fucked it" and do this all over again ten years down the line and peddle their bullshit once again. So while we may be able to laugh at Harold Camping, the people we really need to feel sorry for are the poor bastards he suckered into his May 21 deal.

In case you couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic up there. It's sickening and horrifying what these people are going to find out in the next few days. Some of these folks literally have NOTHING LEFT. They've gone through their life savings plastering billboards and their cars and vans with the May 21 message and stood on the streets getting laughed at. They've alienated their family members. They've quit their jobs. They've sold everything they have.

Some of these people literally have nothing to come home to.

If there is a tragedy in any of this mess, this is it. The lives Harold Camping has ruined with his message of doom are staggering, and I hope and pray that their families will find it in their hearts to welcome them back into their lives, Prodigal Son-style.

And I have a message for Harry: Now that everyone knows how big of a fool you are, do us all a favor and keep your goddamned mouth shut. No one cares. You're going to have hell to pay in the next week or so, and you're gonna have to own up to it. You said the world was going to weep once May 21 rolled around, and we did.

Unfortunately for you, the world wept tears of laughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                No, there is absolutely no chance they are right as them being right requires an astounding series of things be proven true in very short order.
                I think what he was saying is that, even though their calculations were flawed at best, there's a chance the rapture would fall on that date by coincidence. Much like a scam artist that 'predicts' the winning lottery numbers has a chance they are correct, by sheer luck.
                Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

• Boy presumed dead due to Doomsday no show
                  This teenager wasn't distraught that he had frittered his life savings away and quit his job stating that the world was ending anyway, no, he with friends jumped into a river celebrating that the world was not ending and was swept away by strong currents.
                  Rescue workers are not expecting to find him alive.

And although tragic, the worst part of the post was this
                  A two-year-old boy was safely pulled out of the river hours earlier at the same spot.
                  That's all they say on the subject, not how or why the child ended up in the river in the first place.

And in lighter news, I'm watching the first disc of season one of "Life after People" not depicting the who what where when and whyfor of our dissapearance, but what happens to the world around us without us intervening.

Comment

• Oh, now he's saying, "My bad, should've been October."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43140373/?gt1=43001

What's the matter, asshole, didn't fleece your flock for enough money? Want a few more months to get more? How about you off and die already? I hope you like warm climates.
                    If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

• I came here to post the yahoo link entitling it 3rd time's a charm?
                      but you beat me to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by XCashier View Post
                        Oh, now he's saying, "My bad, should've been October."

What's the matter, asshole, didn't fleece your flock for enough money? Want a few more months to get more? How about you off and die already? I hope you like warm climates.
                        I'm a bit lacking in Biblical studies, but I'm sure the Bible's got a few things to say about false prophets . Also, this little thing about no-one but God himself knowing...so who the hell is Harold Camping to say when the Earth is about to end? If God exists, he might want a chat with Camping...before tossing him to .

Comment

• Originally posted by XCashier View Post
                          Oh, now he's saying, "My bad, should've been October."

Dammit you beat me to it. Curse my being in Australia

The worst we had down here for said "Rapture" is a thunderstorm. That's IT.

Comment

• Has anyone seen these billboards around? They're a response to Camping's failed prediction. I saw one by the freeway on my way home and laughed so hard I think the person in the next car over heard me!

Comment

• I haven't seen them in person, but I've seen the pictures posted online. Funny, I guess. But from the point of view of a non-Christian, the billboards completely miss the point. The end of the world is NOT imminent. There's NOT going to be a Rapture. There's no invisible mafia boss who's going to reward those who follow his tyrannical rules and punish those who don't.

Those who say, "the end is coming, we just don't know when" are just as delusional as Camping who says, "the end is coming on such-and-such a date." It's just that Camping's delusion is easier to demonstrate as false.
                              "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

• The end is coming. Ends come all the time (by galactic time standards). Hell, if we keep fucking up our own envirnment, we'll end ourselves properly. Or, we could clean up our act and get ended by an asteroid.

The idea of altering your behavior just because an end is perceived to be imminent, however, completely and utterly misses the point anyway. Stupid churchians.

^-.-^
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X