Cheapness in the name of religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EricKei View Post
    Wasn't there a line or two in the Good Book that says words to the effect of "Lying is bad"?
    Sort of. There's a story in Acts of the Apostles: a rich couple sell some property, and hold back money when they claim to give all to the church. Peter catches on and confronts them. Peter points out that the money was theirs to give or keep, but that by lying to the church about it they lied to God. They both dropped dead on the spot. Apostles 5

James 3:8 "But no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison." Usually this is believed to refer to lying, though the way I read it it could also be talking about boasting or gossip.

Leviticus 19 is more direct: "you shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another."

There's more. Here's a link to some good verses on lying if you're interested. http://www.godvine.com/bible/category/Lying
    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
      James 3:8 "But no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison." Usually this is believed to refer to lying, though the way I read it it could also be talking about boasting or gossip.
      I agree that it sounds more like an admonition against gossip than anything else -- though, gossip, itself, could be considered a form of lying, as it is the spreading of "information" which the speaker *wants* to believe is true...but often, upon consideration, knows that it is likely to be at least somewhat fictional.
      "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
      "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

Working...
      X