Immunisations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
    A number of babies are born who already have their immune systems taxed by things unrelated to vaccines (infections, etc). That argument is what leads to kids being sheltered from vaccines and anything else bad, which leads to the inevitable "superbug" and kids getting sicker than they needed to just because they were never exposed to X.
    Wasn't that myth debunked earlier in the thread?
    Exposure to disease X,Y, and Z won't help you defend against disease A at all.

Comment

I was speaking in generalities there.
      "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
        Wasn't that myth debunked earlier in the thread?
        Exposure to disease X,Y, and Z won't help you defend against disease A at all.
        Exposure to cow pox helps defend against small pox.
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Just like exposure to previous strains of influenza can help against current strains (this past flu season they were saying that if you had been vaccinated in the past year or two you likely didn't need to get it again except in special cases).
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Bumping....

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/c...006301,00.html

Your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
              My thoughts?

That the few people there arguing against vaccination are woefully uninformed and that one guy likes to throw big words around.

Comment

Originally posted by bigred View Post
                Imagine if your child was too young to have had all the vaccinations and caught whooping cough or whatever from a child whose parents had decided against vaccinations.
                The school I mentioned in a previous post does require vaccinations now; I wouldn't be surprised if the whooping cough outbreak had a hand in convincing them.
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-05-2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                  Exposure to cow pox helps defend against small pox.
                  Word. This was how the vaccine was created in the first place.

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/smal...smallpoxhx.htm

The next step towards the eradication of smallpox occurred with the observation by English physician, Edward Jenner, that milkmaids who developed cowpox, a less serious disease, did not develop the deadly smallpox. In 1796, Jenner took the fluid from a cowpox pustule on a dairymaid's hand and inoculated an 8-year-old boy. Six weeks later, he exposed the boy to smallpox, and the boy did not develop any symptoms. Jenner coined the term "vaccine" from the word "vaca" which means "cow" in Latin. His work was initially criticized, but soon was rapidly accepted and adopted. By 1800 about 100,000 people had been vaccinated worldwide.
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                    It depends. Depending on the disease, after several generations have been inoculated, further inoculations are useless, as it becomes part of the genetic code that gets passed on. In other cases, it's pretty much vital to battle new strains.
                    Your saying that immunizations cause DNA to mutate? It's an honest question as they would have to have an affect on your DNA. The DNA are just the instructions last I checked.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                      Your saying that immunizations cause DNA to mutate?
                      Either he misspoke, or he was misinformed. Children inherit their mother's immune system, but not through DNA. Just through being sustained by her both through the umbilical cord, and through breast feeding. Eventually, herd immunity kicks in and most people's immune systems are just impervious to certain diseases through inherited immunity, and then since traits are selected for by evolution, that stronger immune system IS passed on through DNA.
                      Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

1998 study, performed/written about by Andrew Wakefield and others linking Autism to vaccinations has been retracted

This study was published by "The Lancet" medical journal and previously, "The Lancet" is saying the study should never have been published.

Also, 10 of the 13 people who worked on this study have denounced the findings.

Are vaccinations going to come back into vogue? How is Jenny McCarthy going to stay in the forefront of Autism and vaccines once she is made aware of this article?

What do ya'll think?
                        Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
                          How is Jenny McCarthy going to stay in the forefront of Autism and vaccines once she is made aware of this article?

What do ya'll think?
                          Easy, just denounce the nay sayers as sell outs to pharmacutical companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                            Easy, just denounce the nay sayers as sell outs to pharmacutical companies.

Okay .. that was so cynical it made laugh so hard I snort coffee into my nose!

Thank you for that Nyoibo. I have no clue why I liked it so much, but it did tickle my funny bone!

And you're right. That's what she's going to do. Guarantee it.
                            Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

I'm a cynic with a little cat in me.

Comment

A Cynicat

I think that Autism Speaks group is also championing the vaccine link. The fallout is going to be interesting for sure...mom and I have been saying for years that the study was flawed.

Comment

Working...
                                X