Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GRAPHIC warning labels on cigarette packs

http://www.timesunion.com/business/a...ls-1432913.php

Personally, I think this is a stupid idea. Smokers know that cigarettes are bad for them, yet they still choose to smoke. Do they really think that putting a picture of a corpse on the packaging will hinder them? Besides, it's really up to the friends and family of smokers to get that person to quit, not the government.
    "All I know is that I don't know" - Operation Ivy

Originally posted by Gawdzillers View Post
    Besides, it's really up to the friends and family of smokers to get that person to quit
    And we've seen how well that works...
    "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
    -- OMM 0000

Comment

Oh, man, the teens who smoke are going to have a field day with this shit.

They knew smoking was bad by the 50's. Anyone who doesn't have the message by now is never going to get it, and the rest of us are going to sprain something rolling our eyes at it all.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Personally, I find the pictures offensive, which I'm sure is the point. Are they gonna put someone dying from congestive heart failure (like my mom did) on a Snickers bar? People aren't that stupid and the forcing me to see emotionally-charged imagery like that just pisses me off.

Comment

And now would be the time to invest in a company that sells cigarette pack covers, 'cause you know all that's going to happen is that the FDA wasted a bunch of money on that crap, they're going to force the cigarette companies to waste money on implementing that crap, and the people who smoke are going to get smoke cozies to hide that nasty shit from view while they continue to feed their indulgences/addictions.

I'm just waiting for someone who works at a convenience store to sue them for the images because it reminds them of someone close to them who died of lung cancer or the like that was a non-smoker. Because it's only a matter of time.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Like the warning lables aren't enough? There is only so much companies can do to warn their customers that their products are harmful. This just sounds like a move to put the smoking industry out of business.

Comment

um when they did this years ago it backfired spectacularly.....how you ask?

Um I don't think the purpose was to "collect the entire set" which many of us young smokers(yup myself included) did, and displayed them-they were like teenage trading cards....."you got a black lung? I'll trade for a voicebox."

Yeah it'll happen again, and they'll stop again....
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                Like the warning lables aren't enough? There is only so much companies can do to warn their customers that their products are harmful. This just sounds like a move to put the smoking industry out of business.
                that will never happen. No matter what they put on packs. And besides the government doesn't really want people to quit cause then where would they get the tons of money they're making now off the taxes?
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                  And besides the government doesn't really want people to quit cause then where would they get the tons of money they're making now off the taxes?
                  Amen to that. I keep hearing local representatives cry how hard it is to fund projects when cigarette tax dollars keep declining. We have one of the highest taxes on cigarettes here in the US, maybe that's why fewer people are smoking.

Comment

Meh, we've had them here for a while now, they're now making tobacco companies change to plain packaging, smoking rate hasn't gone down and contrary to the tobacco companies carrying on, their profits aren't going down.
                    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

As Denis Leary put in in his "No Cure For Cancer" album...

Originally posted by Denis Leary

There's a guy- I don't know if you've heard about this guy, he's been on the news a lot lately. There's a guy- he's English, I don't think we should hold that against him, but apparently this is just his life's dream because he is going from country to country.

He has a senate hearing in this country coming up in a couple of weeks. And this is what he wants to do. He wants to make the warnings on the packs bigger.

Yeah! He wants the whole front of the pack to be the warning. Like the problem is we just haven't noticed yet. Right?

Like he's going to get his way and all of the sudden smokers around the world are going to be going, "Yeah, Bill, I've got some cigarettes.. HOLY SHIT! These things are bad for you! Shit, I thought they were good for you! I thought they had Vitamin C in them and stuff!"

You fucking dolt!

Doesn't matter how big the warnings are. You could have cigarettes that were called the warnings. You could have cigarrets that come in a black pack, with a skull and a crossbones on the front, called tumors and smokers would be lined up around the block going, "I can't wait to get my hands on these fucking things! I bet you get a tumor as soon as you light up! Numm Numm Numm Numm Numm"

Doesn't matter how big the warnings are or how much they cost. Keep raising the prices, we'll break into your houses to get the fucking cigarettes, ok!? They're a drug, we're addicted, ok!? Numm Numm Numm Numm Numm *wheeze*
                      “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

I don't see the point. It's 2011. Everyone knows that smoking is bad for you. They won't accomplish anything with this campaign.
                        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=28723

Rapscallion
                          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                            Come on, Raps. I can't view CS at work.
                            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

The convenience store across from where I worked had someone ask the staff to find her a packet of cigarettes without a warning label on them. When she was told it was a legal requirement to have them, she whined, "But they upset me!"

Rapscallion
                              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X