New GRAPHIC warning labels on cigarette packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
    The convenience store across from where I worked had someone ask the staff to find her a packet of cigarettes without a warning label on them. When she was told it was a legal requirement to have them, she whined, "But they upset me!"

Rapscallion
    Hm, this implies we might be able to save one in ten million smokers. Full speed ahead!
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Well, I saw this and had to chime in, but I don't really have anything new to bring to the table. The stupidity of "telling" smokers that smoking is bad is evidently beyond reasonable debate.

Old smokers are too addicted to quite.
      Young smokers think they are invincible anyways.

They could require smokers to pick them out of the blackened and putrefying lungs of a corpse in order to buy them and people would do.

Comment

I was thinking about the rammifications of the collectability of warning designs too, that and people wanting to gross out the clerks
        Gimmie a pack of deformed foetus, those ones taste the best.
        Althoguh I feel sorry for which ever brand gets lumbered with erectile disfunctions

Edit: reading the CS thread I see someone already has.
        Last edited by Ginger Tea; 06-22-2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Why don't they put these warnings in bars or on alcoholic drinks? As George Carlin said, "Drinking this will turn you into the same asshole your father was."

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
            Why don't they put these warnings in bars or on alcoholic drinks? As George Carlin said, "Drinking this will turn you into the same asshole your father was."
            Drinking kills more people a night than smoking manages in an entire year, but it's considered socially acceptable, so they just kind of sweep all of that under the rug.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The thing that bothers me is that it has to go on ads as well. Cigarette ads are pretty well all over the place. Why should a non-smoker have to look at pictures of corpses and such?
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                I'm just waiting for someone who works at a convenience store to sue them for the images because it reminds them of someone close to them who died of lung cancer or the like that was a non-smoker. Because it's only a matter of time.
                I can see me doing this, I really don't want to stare at nasty images all fucking day long while I sell morons shit they know is going to kill them. I'm pretty sure they could require you to play Russian Roulette to buy a pack of smokes and people would still be lining up.

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                The thing that bothers me is that it has to go on ads as well. Cigarette ads are pretty well all over the place. Why should a non-smoker have to look at pictures of corpses and such?
                What country are you from? I can't think of the last time i have seen an AD, In America pretty much all the ads have been fucking banned hardcore to the point I don't even know if they still in magazines, not allowed to be on TV. And even NASCAR is trying to force out the cigarette and booze companies to be more "family friendly"

About the only smoking things allowed on TV are those "truth" anti smoking ads. And it hilarious when they go back into old movies and switch the smokes out for something else, or cut the scene all together

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
                  And it hilarious when they go back into old movies and switch the smokes out for something else, or cut the scene all together
                  No that is lame and ridiculous. Why cut up/edit/change shit in a movie just because it involves smoking? People who get offended by THAT need to get the hell over themselves.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                    No that is lame and ridiculous. Why cut up/edit/change shit in a movie just because it involves smoking? People who get offended by THAT need to get the hell over themselves.

The fact is so ridiculous is what makes it hilarious.

Few months ago me and the gf watched "Breakfast at Tiffanys", I can't believe how many people were smoking, it seems less and less in movies is there a guy who smokes, actually more often characters are bitching about the troubles of quiting smoking because of their health.

At least it is a positive message in the brain washing instead of Family guy, smoke

Comment

I know. I hate smoking. I'll tell you straight up smokers annoy me. I'd rather not go into a big debate over that, let's just say they do and shrug and move on. I hate the smell of it, I hate the sight of it, and I hate what it does to people who do it.

There's nothing I like about it.

Having said that, I write this serial fiction online and have for some time now. Half my characters smoke. My hero smokes. It's not a statement, or my agenda, or any sort of message. The fact is that in the time and place my story takes place, people smoked. Pretending they didn't is dumb. I don't glamorize it nor do I demonize it. Some people smoke. Fact of life.

Removing it from film and whatever is silly.

Comment

On a slight tangent, try watching a Cheech & Chong movie on Comedy Central when they've done their best to strip out all the drug references...

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sorry to be getting off-tangent, but I remember watching a couple episodes of Rurouni Kenshin on Adult Swim. Scene where a gun goes flying through the air and a bewildered main character catches it? Suddenly replaced with a katana and no explanation why he looks confused. Death scene where baddie is speared many feet above to a wall? He's just randomly hanging there, no blade or blood to explain why/how he's hovering to ominous music. I'd be annoyed if it wasn't so utterly ridiculous. There's a reason I stopped watching some shows on Adult Swim.

Comment

All right, so "all over the place" was an overstatement; it's mostly POP advertising. But it's still unavoidable, and I still shouldn't have to look at stuff like that. It's bad enough the ads online that show too-close shots of bad teeth and such (not cigarette-related)
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't think it's gonna do much to be honest.
                              There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                                On a slight tangent, try watching a Cheech & Chong movie on Comedy Central when they've done their best to strip out all the drug references...

^-.-^
                                Are you serious? Wha'd they do, just spool the bitch from the reel directly into a garbage can?

What's next, a Ron Jeremy film with all the references to sex edited out?

Comment

Working...
                                X