No announcement yet.

New GRAPHIC warning labels on cigarette packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here. Then again, I've always been a plain Jane, so I guess the whole looks ravagement only really works on beautiful people.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
      They need to work up that erectile dysfunction angle. Every box should just have a sad, wilted piece of celery on it being absently batted by a bored cat. Or just have a picture of a grizzled old truck stop waitress smoking and the caption "These will make you look like your mom by the time your 20.".
      Or just an actual dick on it . Might make mum think twice about smoking in front of her kids if she doesn't want them to see wangs

But yes, I'd probably agree on the virility vs. vanity front. Although I can see some stupid people thinking that smoking would be a good contraceptive. -_- (i.e. "it means that I can cum and there won't be much sperm, so I won't make you pregnant and we don't need to use a condom!")

Comment

Okay, I just thought of something. I pretty much know the answer, but it bears discussion, I guess.

If the government is SO ADAMANT about people not smoking that they have to pretend to try to discourage it this hard, why not just make it illegal?

Seriously. Personally, I don't think it should be illegal. But then, I don't think weed should be illegal, either. But I digress. If we have to stoop to such heroic tactics (that will not work), why not just make it illegal?

Comment

If smoking were illegal, I'd be bankrupt or in jail for the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            If the government is SO ADAMANT about people not smoking that they have to pretend to try to discourage it this hard, why not just make it illegal?
            Because it hasn't been long enough for people to forget how well prohibition worked out.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Well, actually, I know full well that making it illegal will work about as well as that. And about as well as making weed illegal has worked.

I also know the government gets quite a bit of tax money from tobacco. so I guess they don't really want people to stop smoking, they just have to pretend that they do.

Comment

Over here, we wouldn't have the funding for the NHS without the taxes from cigarettes. Basically, it's a necessary evil. Also, incidentally, what costs the NHS the most money is either obesity or getting old. Seeing as it's kinda heartless to tax the elderly for something they can't help, and the government can hardly tax food, it's cigarettes and alcohol which get the tax added on in spades.

Comment

First off making cigarettes illegal and alcohol not illegal would be ridiculous. They are or can be addictive substances but alcohol has way more of an immediate effect on brain cells and judgement than smoking does.

And as for smoking being a contraceptive...HAH I say. I smoked and the men that fathered my children smoked....and I got 3 kids to show for it.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                    First off making cigarettes illegal and alcohol not illegal would be ridiculous. They are or can be addictive substances but alcohol has way more of an immediate effect on brain cells and judgement than smoking does.

And as for smoking being a contraceptive...HAH I say. I smoked and the men that fathered my children smoked....and I got 3 kids to show for it.
                    Well like someone already mentioned we tried prohibition in America with the 18th Amendment which went into effect January 17, 1920 that was repealed by the 21st Amendment December 5, 1933 which is almost almost 14years. Plenty of people broke the law by brewing their own or getting in smuggled in, kind of like how people currently do with marijuana (except for the part where alcohol was legal first)

But basically if people want to do something, they gonna find a way. While you could outlaw tobacco, someone is going to start growing it, we are going to have yet another thing to add to the war on drugs. And then with the amount of smokers people aren't going to feel bad about "breaking the law" if they smoked legally for 50years and all of the sudden it is a crime

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
                      Well like someone already mentioned we tried prohibition in America with the 18th Amendment which went into effect January 17, 1920 that was repealed by the 21st Amendment December 5, 1933 which is almost almost 14years. Plenty of people broke the law by brewing their own or getting in smuggled in, kind of like how people currently do with marijuana (except for the part where alcohol was legal first)
                      I'm pretty sure that marijuana was legal first, too. The Marijuana Tax Act didn't go into effect until 1937 by my research, which is what began making it almost impossible to sell it legally because of the circular red tape that was made in such a way that it couldn't be gotten past. Before that, there were plenty of hemp plantations that grew hemp for clothing and paper and such.

Anyhoo... I agree with everyone else on here that these new warning labels will do next to nothing to deter people from smoking. Perhaps they will make younger folks think twice before lighting up that first cigarette, but the people who are already smokers? They know the risks and what smoking has the chance to do to their bodies, and they still choose to smoke. They already know those risks are not pretty. These images will not make them stop... they just might make them keep their cigarettes in a different container so they won't have to look at those pictures all the time

Comment

Probably not; where I am, when the images first came out it was kinda like "gotta catch them all". XD Or "Hey, you've got a stiff pic! Me too!"

Comment

So like I specifically learned in my Persuasion and Propaganda class, scare tactics like that don't do jack shit to people who already smoke...
                          "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

I wasn't saying that smoking WAS a contraceptive, I was referring to the idiots who would BELIEVE that it was, sort of similar to the idea about how some girls believe that smoking during pregnancy is OK and will lead to an easier labour (lower birthweight and whatnot)

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                              I wasn't saying that smoking WAS a contraceptive, I was referring to the idiots who would BELIEVE that it was, sort of similar to the idea about how some girls believe that smoking during pregnancy is OK and will lead to an easier labour (lower birthweight and whatnot)
                              Yeah that's another fallacy....my kids ranged between 8 and 9 pounds plus. I'm afraid to think how big they would have been if I hadn't
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Yeah that's another fallacy....my kids ranged between 8 and 9 pounds plus. I'm afraid to think how big they would have been if I hadn't
                                Exactly. But like other warning labels out there, there's always a chance someone will do it (i.e. the chainsaw warning about keeping it AWAY from your genitals )

Comment

Working...
                                X