I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
    I care little how when or why the calendar got fudged to make the last few months names not mean their numbered origin, or why Tuesday is between Monday and Wednesday and not nestled between Saturday and Sunday
    The days of the week are just as amusing origin wise.

Your week goes Moon Day, God Of War Day, God Of Bling Day, Thor Day, Wife Of Odin Day ( And/or Goddess of Lurv Day ), God Of Time Day, Sun Day. I like Sunday in particular because its completely literal. Though its funny we kept Sun Day but ditched an o off Moon Day.

I guess someone thought Moon Day and Thor's Day sounded silly so they ditched an o and replaced another o with a u. Which kinda sucks cus Thor Day would be awesome.

Comment

Friday isn't goddess of lurv day, its crisp and dry day.

Is the god of time Saturn? cos Saturn day works.

I wonder how many countries held different days to the week and months to the year and had to ditch a day or three to come into line with how Europe counted?
      For example Japanese and Korean months are basically said number-month, so no one would mind much loosing the 13th month of the year name wise, but it would bugger up the lives for those around that did have to suffer the upheaval of one system to another.

Comment

Friday isn't goddess of lurv day, its crisp and dry day.
        Frigedaeg, Frigg's Day, Friday. Frigg use to get associated with Venus. Hence Goddess of Lurv. In English it's derived from "Frigg's Day", while in say French or Spanish the words are derived from "Day of Venus".

Is the god of time Saturn? cos Saturn day works.
        Yes, he was the god of time.

I wonder how many countries held different days to the week and months to the year and had to ditch a day or three to come into line with how Europe counted?
        For example Japanese and Korean months are basically said number-month, so no one would mind much loosing the 13th month of the year name wise, but it would bugger up the lives for those around that did have to suffer the upheaval of one system to another.
        Well, as long as days are being measured in the same unit you can't effectively lose them per say, the tricky part would be important dates like holidays. There may be some initial adjustments in renaming or numbering them but I'd think it would iron out fairly smoothly. In the case of "losing" important dates some countries and religions do keep a second calender only for keeping track of important days. Judaism and Islam for example. Chinese astrology and the like also uses the older Chinese calenders just to keep track of the system.

There are only 5 countries in the world that don't use the Gregorian calender. Which was a revision to the Julian counter which was in use for farking ever prior to the Gregorian calender because Rome. I think most countries adopted it by the late 1800s or so? The last one being the Ottoman Empire and look what happened to them. ;p

Mass confusion with the calender, oddly enough, would have been a big thing in the Roman empire. Where they were constantly trying to rename the months as each new emperor wanted to rename them after himself. None of the changes stuck though save Julius Caesar ( July ) and Augustus. ( August ).

Prior to that, July and August were Quintilis and Sextilis. Five and Six. To go along with Sept to Dec, 7 to 10. The Romans were kinda lazy on that one. Name half the year after gods, then run out of ideas and just number the rest. >.>

Comment

The Friday joke probably needs a YouTube video to go with it, but its not on the 3rd page of the search ...

What's today?
          I hope it's a Friday
          Any day can be a fry day when you fry with crisp n dry

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
            I guess someone thought Moon Day and Thor's Day sounded silly so they ditched an o and replaced another o with a u. Which kinda sucks cus Thor Day would be awesome.
            Languages don't use the same words. The days of the week weren't created in English, obviously.

The Old English were Sunnendæg and Mōnendæg. So we changed dæg to day and dropped the en (and thus the second n on the first) and pretended the accent didn't exist, leaving us with Sunday and Monday.

Another fun thing about CE and BCE: You can replace Common with Christian and end up in mostly the same place as you started.

Plus, it was reportedly the use of CE in an academic paper that led to the founding of Conservipedia. >_>
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              Languages don't use the same words. The days of the week weren't created in English, obviously.
              Didn't say they were. I pointed out the etymology of Friday and that it was derived from two different meanings depending on the language. I just find it amusing that those two day's have literal meanings but Monday ended up as Monday instead of Moon Day. While Sunday is a direct translation so to speak.

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              Plus, it was reportedly the use of CE in an academic paper that led to the founding of Conservipedia. >_>
              I just read their page on Duck Dynasty out of morbid curiosity. Wow. >.>

Comment

Working...
              X