No announcement yet.

"You're morbid!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just found my grandmother's headstone(well, it's always been there, but until she passed in 2008, there was just a line after her birth year) I've always known it was going to happen, and when it finally did, it just didn't seem real.

After her final service at the cemetary, my mother made me get back into the family limo, she didn't want me to see my grandmother being put in the ground. (I was 28 at the time) She watched my grandpa,(I was 3 weeks old at that time) and said she will never forget it. I was thankful for her concern, but also slightly put off, as I wanted closure, but today I got it. I mean, yes I know she is gone, but I guess seeing it...well, I don't know. I've had my cry, but I was happy...um, relieved. I don't know. We also have pictures of my grandma in her casket. It was an "accident" but I am grateful for it.

Thank you for letting me go off on my little tangent. I find this whole thread fascinating, and now I don't feel bad for being interested in any of these things either...I'm "normal"

Comment

Originally posted by LadyChampagne09 View Post
      Thank you for letting me go off on my little tangent. I find this whole thread fascinating, and now I don't feel bad for being interested in any of these things either...I'm "normal"
      Actually, I don't consider myself normal . . . I call myself "Abby-normal."

Besides, every so often my Mom and I will drive out to the cemetery to make sure Grandma and Grandad (her parents) are still there. We'll also take a ride out to another cemetery to see how her middle sister's grave looks.

Last time we did, it was sinking in bad (my aunt's grave is near a lake) and nothing has been done to repair it.
      If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

DGoddess, have you contacted that cemetery's board? My Dad helps run the local cemetery and they really try to stay on top of that sort of thing.

Comment

I live in South Carolina, as most of you know, and I do love me some bone orchards. Being in South Carolina is relevant because I have easy access to cemeteries in places like Charleston, Edisto, and Savannah. Which means some of those graves date back to the 1700's and are fascinting historical records in some cases.

You can't go down to the low country down here and lay down a quarter without it being on haunted ground. Lots of good stories down here.

My sister lived in Salem, Massachusetts for a year, and the ones up there are AWESOME. As you might imagine.
          Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 07-19-2011, 02:11 AM.

Comment

My husband and I visited family in South Carolina last summer and we were able to wander around Circle Church Cemetery in Charleston. I absolutely loved wandering around looking at all the old, weathered headstones. Even in the 100+ degree heat that my Midwestern self is not used to in the slightest I wanted to go on some of the haunted tours, but we simply ran out of time. Although it gives us more of a reason to go back one day

Comment

Fiance and I have an ambition to visit Auschwitz one day and have even looked into prices. It doesn't really cost overmuch to fly out to Poland, and I certainly would like to do so.

Why revive the thread? Well, we have been called "morbid" for wanting to go. XD
              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I've always had a fascination with abandoned asylums (mom says maybe I was in one in a past life, that might explain a lot )
                "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Same here; the asylum episode in Supernatural was one of my favourites. XD This article, I think, you'll like:

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...-asylums/19808

For once, it's not Cracked or Listverse for a change! XD
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    Same here; the asylum episode in Supernatural was one of my favourites. XD This article, I think, you'll like:

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...-asylums/19808

For once, it's not Cracked or Listverse for a change! XD
                    Wow. Amazing photography!
                    People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                    If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

1. I read books on serial killers and true crime.

2. I have expressed a desire to visit Pripyat and Auschwitz.

3. I like to walk thru graveyards and read tombstones.
                      1) I don't read those much, but I watch true crimes on tv... so what the fuck's wrong with that?

2) I feel going to locations such as that as paying respect to the deceased and all of their suffering. I regret never going to Hiroshima in Japan (I've been to Pearl already).

My boyfriend wants to do the Baatan Death March eventually. It's a challenging march through the desert in memory of soldiers who defended the Philippine Islands in WW2, many of which died on the march or were just killed outright. Many marchers purposefully wear full packs (usually loaded with MREs they plan to donate to charity afterwards) to symbolize the gear (or weight of the gear) the original soldiers had.

3) ??? That's fun! Sis and I always loved trying to find the oldest stones in the graveyard. I went out with Mom & Dad last fall, looking at some old skiing hills they use to go to and found a tiny graveyard nestled at the bottom. We took photos and tried to decipher the dates & epitaphs. I think all of the stones were from the mid 1800s.

Comment

Working...
                      X