Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can someone recommend a rapefree nonkids fantasy book series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pixilated View Post
    gremcint, you mentioned fantasy, but are you willing to try science fiction? Because if so, I'd highly recommend some of the classics: Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Heinlein .... In the vast majority of these books, if there's any sex at all, it's offscreen.
    I read sci fi all the time, and honestly it's hard to draw the line sometimes but it seems to show up less in the sci fi I read than it does in fantasy so I wanted to focus on that for this discussion

as for discworld I loved the adventure game but the writing style of the books while having some charm felt like they were trying too hard, it was less here's a story about funny circumstances and characters but here's a story read it while I do a fantasy themed stand up act. Dresden files will get me to laugh my ass off lots of times but it's because it's about the characters. I had a similar reaction to hitchhikers guide really. It's kind of like why I don't like the LOTR books, they're too much focused on the scenery and not the story.
    Last edited by gremcint; 07-11-2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Monstrous Regiment is my favorite of the non-Vimes Discworld books, although the Moist Von Lipwig and Wee Free Men books are right up there. Monstrous Regiment was the book that got me to realize that pretty much all of the Ankh-Morpork books (and a few of the others as well) are political commentary - dressing up some real-world events in ludicrous trappings.

Some people love the Rincewind stories, but I honestly think that the best Rincewind story pales in comparison to even Equal Rites, one of the earliest Discworld books that deals with social issues.

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
        I've listened to an audio book of one of these and yes there is rape, and rape imagery.

One woman is "given" as a gift to a vampire where she is beaten repeatedly and I don't remember for sure but probably raped, also sookie apparently sleeps with memory erased vampire, further there is a scene where a vampire is holding her on a bed down and she fights him off.
        The scenes you're mentioning are spread out over three different books.

-The "gift" scene is in book 5 and she ISN'T raped. Sookie arranges to have Eric free the woman in question (Tara) and the vampire goes nuts.
        -The "Sookie sleeps with vampire who has no memory" is in book 4. She DOES come clean to him about that particular occurrence in book 5 (as a result of the above mentioned scene).
        -The final scene you mention is from book 3.

Those three scenes CAN be skipped without too many holes popping up in later stories. The remaining stories are rape free as far as I can remember. (there is a were who pops up once or twice in the series asking for permission to have sex with Sookie as part of his duty as packmaster. She refuses and he understands that)

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
        The Wind On Fire - might be too kiddy sadly. It's been a while since I had my hands on the Wind Singer.
        It has an AMAZING plotline the further you go in though. On top of that, I have this feeling that the way the story is written and laid out actually changes with the characters. For instance, The Wind Singer reads more like a teen novel. as you get further on though, it starts to have more traits of an adult novel (sans sex). As far as character development goes, there's not a huge lot of "backstory", but it does all tie nicely together in the end.

Sara Douglass's "Battleaxe" trilogy might be another one to consider. As far as I'm aware, it's fairly rape-free.

Comment

It's not a book, but The Order Of The Stick web comic (giantitp.com) is a great read. There is one villain that coerced a couple of his wives into marrying him, and one joke revolves around the stereotypical backstory of half-orcs, but the punch line was that Therkla's parents were, in fact, an overly cutesy and affectionate couple. But other than that, there's no rape, implied or otherwise.

Comment

Ok so my memory has failed me, but to the best of my knowledge Dragonlance books would for the most part fit the category. At least I do not remember any rape in it. I especially enjoy the Test of the Twins, Trial of the Twins..and I believe there is a couple more about Raistlin and his brother but I can't seem to think of the name of it.

Since my memory is suspect, I am sure if I am wrong about Dragonlance somebody will correct me

Has anybody mentioned Shannara (spelling?) or would it be considered young adult?

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
              Ok so my memory has failed me, but to the best of my knowledge Dragonlance books would for the most part fit the category. At least I do not remember any rape in it.
              Tannis' Father raped his mother. Though I donĀ“t remember any rape happen during the stories in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post

Tannis' Father raped his mother. Though I donĀ“t remember any rape happen during the stories in the book.
                I believe there is background scenes where it's only mentioned as a character builder.

Comment

I would recommend the Myst trilogy. From what I can remember, it's rape-free, although it has been over a decade since I read it last.

Comment

The Myst book(the one related to the game of the same name, it is a nice, short fantasy tale, with no action

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                      F'nor and Brekke? She wanted to be with him but didn't want to end up sleeping with him and then end up sleeping with someone else when Wirenth flew. But F'nor and Canth both assured her that Canth could fly Wirenth since Canth was about the size of a bronze anyway.

Now, F'lar and Lessa's first time...and anytime after that that didn't have dragon's involved....
                      Oh absolutely agreed about F'lar and Lessa.

I'd say Brekke was a little more than hesitant, but also far less than fighting it...bit of a grey area that ended up deciding more by her final feelings on it than his actions, imo.

(Also, Canth would've succeeded, I'm quite sure.)
                      Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
                      Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_on_High View Post
                        (Also, Canth would've succeeded, I'm quite sure.)
                        Oh yes, particularly since Wirenth seemed amenable as well

I like F'nor and Brekke. Her story arc makes me cry though.
                        I has a blog!

Comment

Working...
                        X