Royal Wedding Haters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Wedding Haters

So, as you might have heard, there's gonna be a hitchin' in London tomorrow. My university posted a thing on their Facebook page about it and mentioned a doctoral student who has been studying the history of royal weddings/marriages in England/Great Britain/United Kingdom. Nice linkup, right? I expected comments like, "Oh, interesting!" things like that. Nope! It's more like, "Why do we care so much about those snotty inbreeds that we kicked out of our country!! I'm going to watch The Patriot instead!! Go America!!!"

Um... Last time I checked, the UK was one of our strongest allies. We had a war, yes, and then another war, but since then, things have been fairly cozy. I mean, they have a strange fascination with hot tea and call fries chips and chips crisps and cookies biscuits but...are we really so different? MTV is even putting out a British version of Jersey Shore FFS.

The thing happening tomorrow is the wedding of their future monarch and figurative head-of-state. It's kind of a big deal. (Apparently, not as big of a deal as Prince Charles' since Wills is not the direct heir to the throne, but still). Don't want to watch? Fine, don't. Tired of it being on the news? Don't watch the news. Personally, I'm excited! It's a truly historic event. Of course, being a theatre person, performances of ritual, especially those that cause a change of identity, are fascinating! Add in the fact that I'm planning a wedding and, well, I want to see someone else's wedding. Yeah, they have a lot more funds than I do, but still, you never know when inspiration will strike.

Ah well, haters gonna hate, right?

Sorry, it was me. I'll admit to having pissed in their cornflakes.

More seriously, I'm more apathetic about the whole nonsense, quite frankly. If people want to take the day off to celebrate, fine, but I'm not really going to bother. I'm not really a romantic, in case you'd not gathered.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I could understand the royal wedding being a big deal in the U.K. However, as an American, I could care less about it. Those people mean nothing to me. That's just my personal opinion. I don't even feel enough interest to be a hater, just indifferent. Like you said, since I'm not interested, I just change the channel or shut it off and find something more interesting if they go on about it.

Comment

I don't see why it has to be covered live, or on nearly every single channel.

Tomorrow is going to be a rent movies day. There will be nothing but that damn wedding and the coverage all day. Hell, it starts at 4 am here!

Comment

A friend is sending her dog for an overnight stay so she can get up at 3 AM to watch the whole thing and won't have to get up from the couch to take him for walks. Nice reason for traumatizing the poor pup (he does not like being away from her).

I'm "meh" about the whole thing as well, not really a romantic.
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

I have some interest in it, my heritage does come from England and I care a little about what goes on there. Not enough to get up at I believe 1 am here to watch it live...I'll watch recaps later. But I do want to see it...I saw Charles and Diana's wedding back in 1981 and it would be interesting to see their son take that same walk down the aisle.

Now while it's correct William isn't the direct heir to the throne he will have it soon enough. I think if the queen ever dies (her mother lived to be what ...100? 102?) and the throne is actually vacated by her I don't think Charles will take it. I think it will go straight to William. That's why Charles's wedding was so rushed and important even though he never really loved Diana...she had to produce that heir for him. So he could take the throne. I just don't think Charles will ever actually see it.....
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Um, Charles is generally regarded as feeling put out that he's going to be king for that long. I don't think he wants his mother dead, but he regards the throne as his right, and the only way he won't get it is if he decides to abdicate.

Rapscallion
              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I don't really care about the wedding; I'm working on that day so I'm just glad I'm going to make more money.

I am really amused by all the people who say that the day's going to be a national holiday, convieniently forgetting all the people who work in retail, food and entertainment. I bet the people who proclaim the whole "national holiday" bullshit would be really put out if a royal order was given to close all shops, supermarkets, petrol stations, pubs, clubs, cinemas and entertainment centres; would really inconvienience their precious street parties and barbeques.

It's a bank holiday, not a national holiday, so don't claim it as one when you're well aware that not everyone has the day off.
                "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I wish them well, and hope they'll be happy together, just as I'd wish any couple getting married. Otherwise, I'm not terribly concerned about it, one way or the other.
                  People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                  If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                    Um, Charles is generally regarded as feeling put out that he's going to be king for that long. I don't think he wants his mother dead, but he regards the throne as his right, and the only way he won't get it is if he decides to abdicate.
                    There was a British correspondant chatting with Mark and Brian on the radio this morning about the wedding, and they mentioned the monarchy passing straight to William and he said, and I agree, that such a thing would not be accepted and would be considered as setting a very bad precedent.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

XCashier, I think that's exactly it. I can understand apathy, and I probably wouldn't be so into it if I weren't planning a wedding and becoming a bit too obsessed with traditions this and ritual that, etc. Apathy is fine. It's the hatred and sheer bitterness that confuses me. After all, at the root of the thing is two people getting married. At least wish the two people involved well.

Maybe once William and Kate have a child, and thus further securing the line, the Queen will step down. I almost feel bad for Charles. From the few interviews I've seen, he seems like a genuinely nice, intelligent guy. Certainly more personable than Elizabeth II. Perhaps a bit awkward and goofy, but not to the degree of his father. I dunno, perhaps I've got the wrong impression here. I'm also really interested to see what title, if any, Elizabeth will bestow on Kate.

Comment

What's interesting is that the queen doesn't really have much say in what happens. See, upon the moment of her death or abdication, Charlie gets the throne. If he dies or abdicates, it goes straight to his eldest.

What most people don't realise is that Camilla, though many don't like her, is now Princess of Wales - the position is always held for the consort of the heir to the throne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_of_wales

Of course, if she actually used the title there would be hell on, but it's hers.

There's a whole load of things the monarchy has set up for itself and cannot change.

Rapscallion
                        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I'm just apathetic about it. Like...ok, whatever. I'm not going to go out of my way to watch the coverage and cheer it on, but I'm not like OMG EVIL WHO CARES FUCK OFF either. There's no point.
                          "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

I don't think it's evil, either, it's just annoying that nothing else will be on TV all damn day.

I think William is a great young man, he has his mother's good looks and her big heart. He's not a nasty horses's ass like his father.

Comment

Here is why i don't give a shit, I'm not British, It means shit to me, I am just fucking sick of hearing about the damn royal wedding no matter where I am. I understand it coming from my gf's step mother who is from Britain and starts crying as soon as she figures out I have a gun with me. But the rest of the people with no ties to the country outside of when our founding fathers left it, I really don't see why they are making such a big deal. As far as the change a channel thing, it seems every channel has to make a comment about it. Is it to much to ask that I get some sort of a break without having to throw my tv out the fucking window?

Comment

Working...
                              X