No announcement yet.

Royal Wedding Haters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If all you care about is what people are wearing, a blog report would likely do you better than actually watching whatever event was in question. I've done that for stuff like the academy awards.

I really don't care about the wedding, and since I don't rely on my TV for entertainment other than for Netflix and the XBox (and I get all my news online), the only stuff I've heard about it at all is one blurb on the radio yesterday, and this thread. From my end of things, it's kind of amusing to watch the hubbub from both the people going all gaga over it, and the people going apoplectic.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Never worked a day? I think the Royal Air Force might beg to differ on that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        If all you care about is what people are wearing, a blog report would likely do you better than actually watching whatever event was in question. I've done that for stuff like the academy awards.

I really don't care about the wedding, and since I don't rely on my TV for entertainment other than for Netflix and the XBox (and I get all my news online), the only stuff I've heard about it at all is one blurb on the radio yesterday, and this thread. From my end of things, it's kind of amusing to watch the hubbub from both the people going all gaga over it, and the people going apoplectic.

^-.-^
        I gave up cable therefore I don't watch the events anymore. Yes, I do look at blog posts and the like, even when I did have cable because I never bothered to keep track of when the shows were on. If I managed to remember, great, but it's not like it was the end of my world if I missed them.

I also do not rely on my TV for entertainment, thank you very much for that assumption. It's hardly ever on, and when I did have cable it was mostly on for background noise and a few shows I enjoyed watching. But, seeing as how I rarely sat down and actually watched the TV I ditched cable completely. These days the only time the TV is on is if somebody is playing video games or watching a movie if I don't feel like watching it on my computer.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with finding entertaiment in television. Not at all. I'm sick of people who assume that people who watch a lot of TV are all antisocial fat losers with no imagination. Or my favorite "I don't watch TV, I READ!". Oh aren't you special. I can read, too, I would just rather watch TV. Sue me.

Finding entertainment in television is better than finding entertainment by getting shitfaced drunk and doing stupid things, better than finding entertainment in vandalism, going around looking for fights, shoplifting, the list goes on and on and on.

Comment

Wow... a statement about my not relying on TV for entertainment is somehow an attack on people who do? Oversensitive much?

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

As far as news goes - when tornadoes came through Arkansas, of course I was pretty eager to find out who got hit and that my family and friends were okay. Between Facebook, weather.com, calling people, and local news stations' websites, I was able to stay informed. I knew CNN wouldn't have much information. And not because of the royall wedding pulling focus, just because there weren't many deaths and mostly rural areas were hit.

Comment

Why the hell should I be forced to watch information on this damn wedding on just about every channel I care to watch, I think even the history channel has something going. Lets turn the tables, why don't all the wedding lovers make a website called RoyalWeddingNews.com, all the information can go straight their and stop dealing with the people who want to find out about the local crime, weather, etc etc and not something half way around the world that does not effect us.

I only want to hear about the royal wedding if a meteor flies in from outer space and wipes everyone there off the planet. and I might be next. other than that they have been wasting plenty of time reporting on something that really doesn't mean shit and as he isn't the next in line It really doesn't mean that much to the english/British whatever you want to call yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
                  Why the hell should I be forced to watch information on this damn wedding on just about every channel I care to watch...
                  Because the people who want to watch it outnumber those of us who want to hear about stuff that's actually relevant. And the advertisers want the eyes of people likely to be swayed by their commercials, which also usually don't include those who want to be informed, and if the news programs want to keep their revenues up so they can stay on the air, they have to air what will get the most eyes glued to their programs.

Until we make it so that news is a public service industry and not a commercial industry (or people get more intelligent), things aren't likely to change.

^-.-^

Comment

They played ESPN during lunch. Thank God.

My mom got up early to watch it. I was chatting with her on facebook and she knew I didn't care about the wedding. She decided to narrate it for me anyway. My coworker walked in with a bunch of work and I was so excited to have an excuse to get off of facebook.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Wow... a statement about my not relying on TV for entertainment is somehow an attack on people who do?
                      You may not have meant for it to come off like that, but in the context, it did come off as if you were taking a jab at people who do watch TV.

The problem may be that written word doesn't translate well, but you did make 2 statements along that line so far in this thread that came off as slightly judgmental, and just a touch holier than thou.
                      First, I don't understand why anyone with an internet connection would rely on broadcast news for information.
                      As I said, I'm sure they weren't meant that way, but I do understand why blas reacted as she did.
                      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Personally I don't understand the fascination of following the lives of 'celebrities' (of any kind). Don't care about their weddings, who they are sleeping with, etc. Just don't care. Each their own..those who want to watch, go for it. If nothing is on that I care to watch..I can amuse myself. Of course I have the attention span of a Gnat with ADD..so it's easy to amuse myself....

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                          "OMG! The news from the wedding is that Kate is wearing her hair down! She's wearing her hair down!"

That came from a guy with a voice that was as camp as a row of tents just now.

Rapscallion
                          as I flipped on the TV at 4am my time (hoping to catch the local news and weather but NOOOOOOOO the network started their coverage at 3AM), I heard that very statement made and I thought WTF?????? WHY IN ALL OF GODS GREEN EARTH WAS THIS SOOOOO IMPORTANT???? hair up hair down was the discussion for 5 WHOLE MINUTES. at that time of the morning there is little else on except info-mercials and I turned the TV off, hit the bed and went into a deep sleep knowing that tomorrow would be the beginning of the end.

when I work I listen to the local NPR station. after 11:30pm they play BBC WorldNews Radio. I took a delivery around 11:30pm and all the BBC was playing was wedding stuff LIVE and IN PERSON from no less than 10 reporters ON THE SPOT type.
                          Last edited by Racket_Man; 04-30-2011, 08:09 AM.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                          The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Its not that I don't care about the wedding. I'm sure William and Kate are going to be very happy together. And if someone WERE a doctoral student studying the history of royal weddings, it makes perfect sense to watch it. Otherwise...

Look, he's the future king of, like, over a dozen countries. That's... Kinda cool. What's not cool is how much attention. I mean, it deserves a little recognition, but not the amount that its getting.

They're cute together, they seem to really like each-other. But perhaps a bit less of a spectacle?

Its not why do we care, we're Americans, we're better. I feel more why do we care THIS MUCH.

They're cute. And William deserves to be happy, as does Kate. Yay them. But not this much yay them, you know?
                            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I'm probably as far from a romantic as one can get and still be female, but I watched it for the styles and fashions. Or lack therof..

*cough cough* Beatrice and Eugenie, I'm talking to you!

Anyway - it also helps that I'm on 3rd shift this weekend so I was awake anyway. I don't think I would have gotten up specfically to watch it if I wasn't already awake.

I did find it interesting and enjoyed noting the cultural differences between now and the 1981 wedding.

Comment

A lot of Americans I've chatted to seem to like royal weddings cuz they don't have them back home. XD For much the same reasons as the way that Buckingham Palace is a favourite destination of American tourists.
                                "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                                X