No announcement yet.

Royal Wedding Haters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hair up/hair down thing is a big deal because the current trend, in a very BIG way, is for bridal hair to be an updo, at least for the ceremony. Kate chose to wear her hair partially down and to do her own makeup. This will, very likely, set a new trend. (No, I'm not joking.) Bridal designers will also be jumping over themselves in efforts to make dresses that look like the one Kate wore. (Maybe now we can get over this damn strapless business, ugh.) Because there are many brides that will want to replicate her look so that they can also be princesses*. I think that's a reason why a lot of people, particularly Americans, wanted to watch the wedding. Kate was just a regular (albeit stinking rich) girl, and she became royalty. It's a fairy tale.

*Even though Kate is not a princess, and, from my understanding, will never be styled as Princess Catherine, even if she becomes the Princess of Wales.

Comment

I do have to admit to curiosity about the cake, because I know how trends work, and I'm sure there will be lots of copying going on, so I googled it. (See, I went looking for what I was curious about. I didn't need it shoved down my throat!)

FWIW, I thought the cake was gorgeous.
      It was elegant and traditional.
      There was a lot of detail, but it wasn't overly elaborate, despite being 8 layers.
      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
        *cough cough* Beatrice and Eugenie, I'm talking to you!
        I felt sorry for the people who had to sit behind them .

I caved and watched it, because something like this just doesn't happen very often. It's also funny because I'm in a wedding next weekend. If I wasn't a bridesmaid I would seriously consider wearing a ridiculous hat

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
          A lot of Americans I've chatted to seem to like royal weddings cuz they don't have them back home. XD For much the same reasons as the way that Buckingham Palace is a favourite destination of American tourists.

ehhhhhh not exactly true. yes we do not have "royality" as such but the high profile celebs and their weddings evoke the same wackyness with the press and rabid fans and the tabloids. though most Amercians could care less, none the less there are helicopters, high powered telephoto lenes from 200 different directions, stalker minibike riding daredevils with cameras, people crashing the cerimony,etc. not to the level of security of the UK Royals get but still.

though I do not remember this big a tado and pomp and cerimony and world wide coverage for other "royal" weddings in Europe. I guess they want to keep a lower profile.
          I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
          The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

I didn't want to watch it, but my coworker that I work out with had DVR'd it and she wanted to watch some after we worked out.

Why didn't the Queen sing during most of the songs? Isn't that disrespectful, or is she just allowed to do whatever she wants?

Comment

Add me to the list of people who wanted to see other crap on their 9 news channels than what her freaking dress was.

How many dead from that monster tornado in the American South, how many people died in Syria, there is an Election in Canada (that I cant vote in but the outcome still affects me) etc.

Every single channel had royal wedding coverage and I escaped the worst of it because I had to drive 12 hours that day. Even that state run Canadian radio station talked about pretty much nothing else.

So very over it. I am happy that William found someone who could put up with that horrible family of his and with a total lack of privacy for the rest of her life. Good for her. It should have rated 1 news item not weeks and weeks of coverage on multiple channels. It harks back to when Paris Hilton went to jail and the whole world couldn`t escape it!
              Shut up about it already!
              I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                Why didn't the Queen sing during most of the songs? Isn't that disrespectful, or is she just allowed to do whatever she wants?
                I read something...somewhere...that said, basically, that the Queen singing, "God Save the Queen" is kind of the equivalent of singing "Happy Birthday" to yourself. As for the rest, I don't know (haven't watched the ceremony yet).

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                  2 people who have never worked a day in their lives?
                  Sorry, but your ignorance is showing.
                  She's worked as an accessory buyer and he has had his military and royal duties.

Now, for me, I'm mildly pissed because when people see my wedding dress (marriage is Sept. 10, for those wondering), some might assume that I'm trying to emulate the Duchess of Cambridge , even though I found the pattern for my dress in March.

Comment

I will be stealing those lace sleeves when I finally get married; cept mine will be in black lace to go with my dark red wedding dress. XD
                    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Becks View Post
                      Now, for me, I'm mildly pissed because when people see my wedding dress (marriage is Sept. 10, for those wondering), some might assume that I'm trying to emulate the Duchess of Cambridge , even though I found the pattern for my dress in March.
                      Don't worry, we saw your pics first!!! Sleeves are making a comeback, woo hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Giggle Goose View Post
                        Don't worry, we saw your pics first!!! Sleeves are making a comeback, woo hoo!
                        Woo hoo!!!

Whoever decided that going sleeveless was the ONLY way to get a wedding dress should be forced to look at my upper arms for a while.

Comment

I did not watch the ceremony apart from the ending as I was working through most of it. My views though are:

Hair: LOVED IT! Simple, yet elegant and beautiful. Sometimes the simplest things work.
                          Dress: Aside from the massive train, I liked the rest of the dress. Not too big a fan on the sleeves, although my eventual wedding dress will have them, just not in lace. (as often a Viking marriage was arranged, in our case, we're planning more later and more eclectic medieval period wedding for when we do finally go down that route)

One of my cousins commented on how the Queen could've afforded a bra for the ceremony, while a CW of mine spent about 15 minutes at work squeeing over the dress with various people.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post

*Even though Kate is not a princess, and, from my understanding, will never be styled as Princess Catherine, even if she becomes the Princess of Wales.
                            She will not be called Princess Catherine, because she was not born a princess. She will be Princess William etc, Princes of ***, Duchess of ***, etc etc etc.

I know too much about useless facts, sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella_Vixen View Post
                              She will not be called Princess Catherine, because she was not born a princess. She will be Princess William etc, Princes of ***, Duchess of ***, etc etc etc.

I know too much about useless facts, sometimes.
                              They made them the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge but William is still a prince. Like Raps said, Camilla is the consort to the heir of the throne, so by tradition she gets to be the Princess of Wales as well as the Duchess of Cornwall and Rothesay. Sometimes the whole nobility title and traditions can be weird and complicated. I wasn't alive when Diana and Charles married but I was happy and excited to see the royal wedding. Though I have to say the coverage since the engagement was a bit overkill and after the wedding too.
                              There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                                The hair up/hair down thing is a big deal because the current trend, in a very BIG way, is for bridal hair to be an updo, at least for the ceremony. Kate chose to wear her hair partially down and to do her own makeup. This will, very likely, set a new trend. (No, I'm not joking.) Bridal designers will also be jumping over themselves in efforts to make dresses that look like the one Kate wore. (Maybe now we can get over this damn strapless business, ugh.) Because there are many brides that will want to replicate her look so that they can also be princesses*. I think that's a reason why a lot of people, particularly Americans, wanted to watch the wedding. Kate was just a regular (albeit stinking rich) girl, and she became royalty. It's a fairy tale.

There's these things called style magazines, style websites and wedding versions of both where people can find out what kind of dress she had and what she wore. We don't need to watch what kind of hair Kate had at her wedding on the morning news. IT ISN'T NEWS. I understand if I was watching BBC America they'd be covering it ad nauseum, but, I don't see why NBC/ABC/CBS and Fox had to do extensive coverage of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X