No announcement yet.

Royal Wedding Haters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless you've only got network channels, it should be fairly easy to find something not-wedding related on TV. Yes, I'm sure it's all over network and 24-hour news channels. But probably not things like TNT, TBS, Discovery, etc. Then again, I've really been too busy to watch TV lately, so I don't know for sure what the TV coverage is like.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
      Tired of it being on the news? Don't watch the news.
      I really, really hate that attitude.

Ummm...I watch the news to be informed about events that are relevant to me.

Right now, in our country, there is an election going on. Monday is election day, in fact,
      I try to follow the news to stay informed.

Yesterday, there were some bad storms, and there was a report of high winds in the area where my brother lives. I had heard that a tree had fallen on a teen girl.
      My brother has a teen daughter. It could have been her or one of her friends.

I tuned in to the news last night, hoping to hear something about that story.

I had to sit through so much fluff and sickening hype about "the wedding of the century" before I got any type of news regarding what I was actually tuning in to see.

Fine. He will be king someday.
      As a Canadian that affects me.

I fail to see why I have to watch the better part of an hour filled with stupid stories analyzing every move by every member of the royal family and wedding party and speculating about the wedding day when all I really want to find out is if my family's area is safe from the storm.
      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

First, I don't understand why anyone with an internet connection would rely on broadcast news for information. They're after ratings, and actual news isn't what the lowest common denominator wants to watch.

You didn't have to watch that fluff - nobody forced you, but yourself. You chose to watch that fluff because you decided that was the best way to get the information you wanted.

Celebrity weddings, dead bodies, sex scandals, and kittens... that's pretty much all broadcast news is good for these days.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I get at most 10 channels (not sure since I don't have a TV in the lab). Most are news. I like to sit back and read the news. Sorry I don't find anything special about two people getting married that I don't know and have no affect on me. Apparently coverage will be taking place during my lunch time here. Now I can't even get any news during lunch. What the hell? Important shit in the world could be happening but they won't cover any of it, they'll just cover some wedding.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I just think the thing is overexposed and overblown, like most stuff on the news. I don't have any ill will toward Kate or William and wish them well, but I can't get caught up in the hype.

So the whole thing is meh to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              You didn't have to watch that fluff - nobody forced you, but yourself. You chose to watch that fluff because you decided that was the best way to get the information you wanted.
              Were you in my living room and therefore can state with certainty that I didn't already try to find out the very information I was looking for on the internet? Pretty sure that wasn't you beside me on my couch.

Just where was I supposed to find Canadian news feeds on the internet that weren't affiliated with the same news networks I was viewing on TV, and weren't carrying the same news stories?

Every damn site I went to was filled with images of the happy couple, and all the top stories and headlines were royal wedding related.

Again, to me, saying "turn off the TV if you don't like it" and "nobody is forcing you to watch it" is an arrogant attitude.
              Why should my only option be to turn off my TV? Why should I have to waste all kinds of time wading trough the hype?

I don't give a crap about the wedding. That's my right.
              It's also my right to complain about the media saturation.
              I personally think it's too much ado about nothing.
              Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

As they decided to make it a bank holiday, it just to me anyway, means another working day, this time with BH hourly rate instead of just a weekday's.

Either son getting married meh, I know the not next in lines have had marrages and they were low key re media as they are not that important, hell I couldn't name many of the grooms cousins.

Charles should not abdicate or abstain from accepting his rightful place as the next King on the death of his mother, so his son is young and popular, it's not a popularity contest.

I will be working and not caring about the wedding, I will continue to not care about the bride and groom long after the fact. But I won't be getting in anyones face at work who harps on about it, mostly cos if it's meantioned it would be in a forign language.

Comment

I have no feelings either way on this. different country high profile people getting married been there done that in Hollywood for many decades. for me Ho HUM

I just want the hype and 24/7 coverage to be over. yes it should be starting just as I post this. after this we will get the honeymoon converage. then the inevitable "Is she preggers yet??" and further drama will ensue and the tabloids will cheer HO HUM

what upsets me is all of the money being spent when the UK is supposed to be on an austerity path (ya know severly cutting spending levels all over the place)

I care about the NEWS as in jobs, the economy, the financial stuff, crime, gas prices, the world going to hell in a handbasket, the Arabian Spring uprisings, bad weather, how bad I am going to get shit on in the coming months, etc.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                  The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
                    I care about the NEWS as in jobs, the economy, the financial stuff, crime, gas prices, the world going to hell in a handbasket, the Arabian Spring uprisings, bad weather, how bad I am going to get shit on in the coming months, etc. shit that matters.
                    Fixed that for you.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

"OMG! The news from the wedding is that Kate is wearing her hair down! She's wearing her hair down!"

That came from a guy with a voice that was as camp as a row of tents just now.

I went off and did some useful stuff. I counted envelopes. Some fucker had used the last of the backup stock and didn't say a thing.

By your stationery requests combined, I am Captain Paperclip!

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
                        Here is why i don't give a shit, I'm not British, It means shit to me, I am just fucking sick of hearing about the damn royal wedding no matter where I am. I understand it coming from my gf's step mother who is from Britain and starts crying as soon as she figures out I have a gun with me. But the rest of the people with no ties to the country outside of when our founding fathers left it, I really don't see why they are making such a big deal. As far as the change a channel thing, it seems every channel has to make a comment about it. Is it to much to ask that I get some sort of a break without having to throw my tv out the fucking window?
                        Yes, it's called a DVD. Or, failing that, a computer.

Also, I'm English, and I don't give a toss, so being British doesn't mean that a person cares about the royal wedding, or that not being British means that you don't care. I've posted on forums about it, and found that quite a few Americans and Canadians are looking forward to watching it all on TV.
                        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Many of my friends got up early to watch it (or just stayed up). I would have, but I have to teach today. That said, I did get up and look up pictures of the dresses. I liked the wedding dress, I thought it was very classy while still looking "young." (I'm assuming long sleeves were a requirement.)

Comment

I'm another one who was annoyed with seeing it on every news station. But that's mainly because I love seeing my flameboyent weather guy every morning. Ended up watching re-runs of Full House (ugh) before work, and when I get home, it's DVDs and WoW

I get the people for are into it, and the people who are apathtic, I *don't* get the people who flew oversees to camp out, but to each their own.

I did end up seeing the vows...the dress was nice, and does he not get a ring? Is that the tradition?

I wish them well.

Comment

This sort of thing makes me glad that I gave up cable. While I am somewhat interested in the goings on in England right now, I'm very glad not to have it shoved down my throat. Like Ree, I'm up in Canada and I know that most of our news services are chock-full of coverage of the wedding, including all the detailed fiddly bits and outlining the history and the Royal Family and various nobilty. Personally, that's not my thing. The only things I'm interested in, admittedly, is what everybody is wearing. Yes, that's shallow, but it's why I used to watch the red carpet preshows for any televised award shows. But I do it for the entertainment value - I spend most of my time laughing my ass off at what some people consider fashionable. I've already laughed my ass off over the 'hat' on the head of one of Prince Andrew's daughters...it's something bizarre to behold, and wouldn't look too out of place on Lady Gaga.

I don't mind that there are people that are right into it, as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat.

Comment

Add me to the "tired of it" crowd. CNBC has been going on about it for the past 2 days. Seems every 15 minutes, they have to break into "important" news about the wedding. Seriously? People get married every day, and they're interrupting news about the economy and other things that actually matter...for stories about 2 people who have never worked a day in their lives? Sorry, but fuck that.

Comment

Working...
                                X