No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That just made my jaw drop. This guy is either a Speshul Snowflake above and beyond ANY that I've ever seen or hear of prior to this, or he is woefully, hideously ignorant of history.

More than likely he's both. Affluenza and all that, doncha know ...

Comment

• He's a venture capitalist. Special snowflake is normal for him.

"I verbally took the reporter to task and told him off, because I expect a certain level of professionalism and respect..."

Rep. Michael Grimm, on why he told a reporter trying to ask, in a post-SOTU interview, about alleged campaign finance irregularities: "You ever do that to me again I'll throw you off this f***ing balcony...I'll break you in half. Like a boy."

Uh-huh. He expects the certain level of professionalism and respect from everyone but himself apparently.

Comment

• "The world is literally about to blow up."

Sen. Lindsey Graham

You keep using that word but I don't think you know what it means.

Comment

• On the bright side: if he's right, there's no point in worrying about anything else.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• If he's right, there's no point in worrying about that, either.
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Of course, the quote is out of context. In context it's "The middle east is going to hell and we should be the cause of it!"

"I didn't threaten to shut down the government the last time. I don't think we should ever shut down the government."

Sen. Ted Cruz

I see him the same as Handsome Jack in Borderlands 2. He thinks he's the hero when everyone else sees him as the villain.

Comment

• "A speech by Barack Obama is a lot like sex. The worst there ever was is still excellent."

political pundit Alex Castellanos on SOTU

Eh, I think he gives the SOTU address (and sex for that matter) too much credit.

Comment

• "The company used such an iconic song, one often sung in churches on the 4th of July that represents the old 'E Pluribus Unum' view of how American society is integrated, to push multiculturalism down our throats."

Breitbart's Michael Leahy, denouncing Coca-Cola's Super Bowl ad in which Americans sang "America the Beautiful" in their native languages

I would say so much toward this quote, but it's a writer on Breitbart which means it's just not worth the effort.

Comment

• "Right now, Jesus himself couldn't be the Speaker and get 218 Republicans behind something."

Rep. Patrick J. Tiberi

That's because they see Jesus as a "dirty Liberal". Then again, Regan (their party's patron saint) couldn't pull it off either.

Comment

• "The Bible...makes it plain that dinosaurs and people must have lived together...If the Bible's right (and it is!), dinosaurs must have lived within the past thousands of years."
                      -- creationist Ken Ham

"[Bishop Ussher] added up the dates listed in Genesis and he came up with the world had been around for 6,000 years. [That] is just nonsense and I think it's time we come off of that stuff and say this isn't possible...You can't just totally deny the geological formations that are out there. Let's be real. Let's not make a joke of ourselves."
                      -- Pat Robertson on Ham

Pat Robertson being reasonable. Isn't that a sign of the Apocalypse?

Comment

• "Marijuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing."
                        -- Federal Bureau of Narcotics chief Harry J. Anslinger, 1948

"It really puzzles me to see marijuana connected with narcotics...dope and all that crap. It's a thousand times better than whiskey -- it's an assistant, a friend."
                        -- Louis Armstrong

This is really one of those situations where the winner is the one who shoots themselves in the foot less, isn't it?

Comment

• "An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated [that Christie chief spokesman Michael] Drewniak referred to the Port Authority's executive director as a 'piece of crap.' While Drewniak did call him a 'piece of excrement,' it was David Wildstein who referred to the executive director as a 'piece of crap.'"

correction issued by New Jersey's <em>Star-Ledger</em>

After all, the devil's in the details.

Comment

• "As it turned out, that was maybe a good thing that he had a 100-round magazine, because it jammed. If he had four, five, six 15-round magazines, there's no telling how much damage he could have done until a good guy with a gun showed up."

CO state Rep. Bernie Herpin, referring to the Aurora shooting while arguing for overturning a new ban on high-capacity mags

I would imagine it would be far less than 12 dead and 70 wounded dumb ass.

Comment

• "It's an absolute infringement on people's beliefs. What's being taught is just as much faith and, you know, just as much pulled out of the air as, say, any religion."

Missouri state Sen. Rick Brattin, whose bill would allow parents to have their kids opt out of any class where evolution is being taught

You know, I keep hearing about people who actively refuse to see the world around them but never thought I would witness one in action.

Comment

• I really hope this guy isn't my district senator.

Oh, good, he's not. He's 55th district Representative, not a Senator. And I'm nowhere near his district.
                                Last edited by Andrew B; 02-15-2014, 05:56 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Working...
                                X