No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Founding Fathers...put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn't you were just a citizen and got to vote...One of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you're a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community."
    -- Tea Party Nation president Judson Phillips

"The Tom Perkins system is: You don't get to vote unless you pay a dollar of taxes... But what I really think is, it should be like a corporation. You pay a million dollars, you get a million votes."
    -- Silicon Valley entrepreneur Tom Perkins

Makes you thankful they're not the ones in power, huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
      "The Founding Fathers...put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn't you were just a citizen and got to vote...One of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you're a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community."
      -- Tea Party Nation president Judson Phillips

"The Tom Perkins system is: You don't get to vote unless you pay a dollar of taxes... But what I really think is, it should be like a corporation. You pay a million dollars, you get a million votes."
      -- Silicon Valley entrepreneur Tom Perkins

Makes you thankful they're not the ones in power, huh?
      Sadly, thanks to lobbyist influence and monetary contributions to campaigns that loophole through the regulations against such contributions, this concept is already closer to reality than many people think.

Comment

• "I would like to professionally continue my education and hopefully become an attorney. I think that's the best way to stop the miscarriage of justice that happened to me from happening to somebody else...[I am] a scapegoat [for] the government, the president, the attorney general...I don't know what they're thinking or why they're thinking it, all I know is that they're doing it. I don't know what agenda they have."

George Zimmerman, who was acquitted in the killing of Trayvon Martin

Gee, maybe if you weren't such an asshole in the first place none of this would have happened. Guess the only thing he learned out of all this is how to be a more effective bigot.

Comment

• Russian Olympic hockey coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov, at a press conference after his team was eliminated from medal contention:

Reporter: "You know, your predecessor was eaten alive after the Olympics."

Bilyaletdinov: "Well then, eat me alive right now."

Reporter: "No, I mean..."

Bilyaletdinov: "Eat me, and I won't be here any more."

Reporter: "But we have the world championship coming up!"

Bilyaletdinov: "Well then, there will be a different coach because I won't exist any more, since you will have eaten me."

Gotta love literal translation.

Comment

• This bill is not about allowing discrimination," Yarbrough said. "This bill is about preventing discrimination against people who are clearly living out their faith."
            State legislator Republican Sen. Steve Yarbrough commenting on the bill he introduced allowing business owners to use religion to refuse service to gay/homosexuals.
            I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
            The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

• "This invalid has brought shame upon us."

Russian political leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky on four-time medalist Evgeni Plushenko, who withdrew from skating competition after re-injuring his back during warmups

I think they're still pissed they won't be number 1 in medal standings at the end of the games.

Comment

• As if the "hot ice" bobsled run, being critically behind schedule on building the facilities, shooting the stray dog population, yadda, yadda, yadda weren't bringing shame on them.

Comment

"This invalid has brought shame upon us."

Russian political leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky on four-time medalist Evgeni Plushenko, who withdrew from skating competition after re-injuring his back during warmups

I think they're still pissed they won't be number 1 in medal standings at the end of the games.
                  Dude! Spoilers! I'm still catching up on my recordings

And Plushenko has more balls than this leader to be honest. He did try. His warm-up that night was awful to watch.
                  Last edited by Kheldarson; 02-22-2014, 08:54 PM.
                  I has a blog!

Comment

• Yeah, the athletes are last in a looooong list of things about the games that are bringing shame to them.

Comment

• "A Chicago communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel..."

Ted Nugent on President Obama

Nugent's about as good of a political commentator as he is a musician. Needless to say he's crap at both.

Comment

• "How many people can pray that that's how they wanted to die, and got exactly what they pray for? Not many."
                        —Cody Coots, on his father, Pastor James Coots, who was killed by a snake he was handling

There's a joke here (probably several) but I'll leave it open beyond saying I expect to see the story on the Darwin Awards website.

Comment

• "It will know you better than your intimate partner does. Better, perhaps, than even yourself."

Ray Kurzweil on the future of Google, where he serves as director of engineering

Gee, that's not creepy at all. Is it any wonder why companies have PR staff?

Comment

• "Once a child does exist in your womb, I'm not going to assume a right to kill it just because the child's host (some refer to them as mothers) doesn't want it."
                            _

Steve Martin (R-Richmond) in a reply to a pro-choice Valentine's Day message

He backpedaled right quick, and changed "host" to "bearer of the child," but he's still marginalizing the actual person in favor of a potential one.
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"It will know you better than your intimate partner does. Better, perhaps, than even yourself."

Ray Kurzweil on the future of Google, where he serves as director of engineering

Gee, that's not creepy at all. Is it any wonder why companies have PR staff?
                              is it any more creepy to know that some companies already do? and have been able to since (at least) 1999? (supermarket loyalty cards. A supermarket can figure out a surprising amount from what you buy)

Comment

• They can, up to a point. They don't know what you're getting from other stores, nor necessarily what you're doing even with what you buy from them. Or, for that matter, that the person using the card is the one who signed up for it.
                                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                                X