No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We have got this tailspin of culture, in our inner cities in particular, of men not working and just generations of men not even thinking about working or learning to value the culture of work, so there is a real culture problem here that has to be dealt with."

Rep. Paul Ryan

"I have no solutions to this, but I just want to indirectly say it's all the black people's fault."

Comment

• "I hope it's not working. Because if you go back to 1933, with different words, this is what Hitler was saying in Germany. You don't survive as a society if you encourage and thrive on envy or jealousy."

billionaire Home Depot co-founder Ken Langone, on populist appeals critical of increasing wealth disparity

Maybe if you paid your employees better instead of calling it noise from your mountain of cash the cries of envy and jealousy wouldn't amount to little more than noise.

Comment

• "It took us 2,000 years to find Noah's Ark. Do we ever find Flight 370?"

Fox News' Bill Hemmer

I'm wondering if Fox News has some sort of quota for catholic references that needs to be adhered to at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
          "It took us 2,000 years to find Noah's Ark. Do we ever find Flight 370?"

Fox News' Bill Hemmer

I'm wondering if Fox News has some sort of quota for catholic references that needs to be adhered to at this point.
          Noah's Ark isn't just a Catholic story. It's a part of all Christian Bibles, the Qur'an, and the Torah
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

• Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
            Noah's Ark isn't just a Catholic story. It's a part of all Christian Bibles, the Qur'an, and the Torah
            While true, it's safe to assume that Fox broadcasters are not referencing any religion apart from Catholicism apart from declaring them evil.

Comment

While true, it's safe to assume that Fox broadcasters are not referencing any religion apart from Catholicism apart from declaring them evil.
              What? No. Christianity as a whole, yes, but Catholicism is a branch that goes either way for them. We're papists, you know? That's un-American.
              I has a blog!

Comment

• "The Holocaust is an event whose reality remains uncertain and, if it happened, it's uncertain how it happened."

Ali Khamenei, Iran's Supreme Leader

Gee, the leader of a country that's been in a military equivalent to a bitch slap fight with Israel since it's inception is a Holocaust denier? Say it isn't so!

Comment

• "I know it's preposterous, but is it preposterous?"

CNN's Don Lemon, asking Mary Schiavo, former inspedtor general of the Department of Transportation, if Flight 370 could have been sucked into a black hole

So when do the "hyper advanced aliens" theory start? I want my B5 universe damnit!

Comment

• "I have felt that my own communications are probably monitored. And when I want to communicate with a foreign leader privately, I type or write the letter myself, put it in the post office and mail it, because I believe if I send an email, it will be monitored."

former president Jimmy Carter

While I'm opposed to the NSA tactics, this doesn't surprise me to be honest. In exchange for the additional security forces they have comes with extra scrutiny to at the very least ensure they don't run their mouth while representing the country.

Comment

• and you should probably assume the letter is going to get intercepted, as well.

Comment

So when do the "hyper advanced aliens" theory start? I want my B5 universe damnit!
                        Not B5, but I laughed at this
                        "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

• "I grew up castrating hogs on an Iowa farm. So when I get to Washington, I'll know how to cut pork."

Joni Ernst, in U.S. Senate campaign ad

Ignoring the easy jokes, I don't see her stance as any different from the extreme right GOP members.

Comment

• "Ambassador, dear, you are lying. You are calling white as black and black as white."
                            -- Ukrainian official Vasyl Filipchuk to Russian EU ambassador Vladimir Chizhov

"He reminds me of a character from Dr. Strangelove."
                            -- Mikheil Saakashvili, former president of Georgia, on Chizhov

Ahh, the joys of diplomatic speak.

Comment

• A couple things I've heard regarding diplomatic-speak:

Diplomacy is telling people "Go to Hell!" in such a manner that they're looking forward to the trip.

Diplomacy is saying "Nice doggie!" while looking for a rock.

Comment

• "Sending a message out to people saying, 'It's okay. Stay fat. Get diabetes...Everybody dies. Lose your fingers.'"

Joan Rivers on Lena Dunham

I'd rather look at someone who's slightly overweight and healthy rather than a skinny strip of living jerky.

Comment

Working...
                                X