No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's gone far beyond a slippery slope. It's one thing to say that if A happens, B through Z will follow eventually, and quite another to insist that the reason people are trying to get A at all is because they really WANT Z.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• "Talk about terrorism...My goodness, what have we become?"

Rep. Mike Kelly on EPA's new rule on power plant emissions

"How dare the EPA be so unamerican! Don't they know that we're supposed to only worry about money and not about silly things like screwing up the planet?"

Comment

• "Laughter is an instant vacation."

Milton Berle

Well I don't fully agree, the man has a point.

Comment

• "This is a racial situation. It's not covered that way in the press. It's not even discussed in the press. They don't want to discuss it. They stay away from it."

Donald Trump on Ferguson

He might actually want to pay attention to the press at some point in his life instead of his delusional fantasies.

Comment

• "I'll tell you what will happen. They'll have a trial. The white jurors will see it one way, and the black jurors another."

Geraldo Rivera on Michael Brown shooting

Despite the fact that I can't STAND this waste of good air, he makes a point.

Comment

• "What's all the stink over the Redskins name? It's so much horseshit it's incredible. We're going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian...What are you going to call them, Brownskins? This is so stupid it's appalling...Lombardi and Halas never had a problem with it. Why would all these other idiots have a problem with the name?"

Mike Ditka

Since when is a racist slur "honouring"?

Comment

• "If you really believe in standing up to those threatening the Christian way of life, how about putting your money where your mouth is, taking a direct flight to Iraq and picketing the people threatening to behead Christians if they don't convert? I will personally pay for every member of the Westboro Baptist Church to fly to Iraq right now. I'll even fly you first class and pay the carbon offset."

comedian and TV personality Adam Hills, on WBC's plan to picket Robin Williams' funeral

Oh I like this guy.

Comment

• "...The densely layered messages in the holy texts of Islam have very little to do with the mindset of wannabe holy warriors, many of whom are more or less self-taught. Two who recently traveled from Birmingham, U.K., to Syria only to be arrested on their return reportedly learned about their faith by ordering Islam for Dummies on Amazon.com."
                  -- Chrisopher Dickey in Daily Beast article on "hip-hop jihadists"

Fair point. The whole "Islamic warriors/terrorists" are less about religion than politics, both in their actions AND the response.

Comment

• "We're in the most dangerous position we've ever been in as a nation."

Sen. Jim Inhofe, on ISIS

Is failing history a requirement for becoming a politician? The last century alone I can think of at least 3 more dangerous occasions than ISIS.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                      Is failing history a requirement for becoming a politician? The last century alone I can think of at least 3 more dangerous occasions than ISIS.
                      He just missed a word. He needed a "recent" in there :P
                      I has a blog!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                        He just missed a word. He needed a "recent" in there :P
                        I can still cite 2 off the top of my head if we're going by "recent". :P

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post

I can still cite 2 off the top of my head if we're going by "recent". :P
                          Two weeks ago is recent...
                          I has a blog!

Comment

• "Don't lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby."

unnamed male colleague to Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand after she shed pregnancy pounds, as recounted in her new book

I swear if a politician calls the US "civilized", I'm bringing this shit up.

Comment

• "Seventy-four percent of whites and just thirty-six percent of blacks have a great deal or fair amount of confidence in the police officers in their communities to not use excessive force on suspects."

from a recent PEW Research poll

The truly depressing part about this is that it's not a cultural dislike without context, there's a legitimate reason for that distrust.

Comment

• “If I want to, I can take Kiev in two weeks."

Vladimir Putin

I've heard those types of claims before. It rarely ends well, let alone as expected.

Comment

Working...
                                X