No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "And I just make the point for anybody that thinks that may be the possibility: Do they think they can take a straight person to a psychiatrist and turn them gay?"

-- Texas Republican Party Chairman Steve Munisteri opposing his party's acceptance of gay reparative therapy

At least one Texas Republican makes sense. It's too bad he was outvoted.
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

• I thought they had Congress locked up through gerrymandering (and if they still hold it after the 2020 election, they get to adjust the map again.)
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• won't help- the issue is that republican idea appeal to older voters- who are either dying off, or are simply being outnumbered by younger, more tolerant voters. There is a limit to how much even gerrymandering can help.

Comment

• There is a limit, but six years isn't long if you're looking for generational replacement, especially when you're talking about the party as a whole, which, as I understand it, people tend to gravitate more towards as they age, rather than specific issues where that may not apply.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• it's a demographic change, not a generational one. If I may explain: there are a LOT of older voters due to the baby boomers. However, they are starting to die off- and there are a LOT of younger voters newly able to vote who are distinctly unhappy at the blatant prejudice the GOP is showing.

Comment

• "I want to be remembered as one of the great CEOs of our time and of my generation."

American Apparel founder Dov Charney, recently fired by the company for his "conduct with women"

Well, you're hitting most of it. You'll be remembered, and it will be as a CEO. Just need to work on that "great" part. Of course that would require you to not be a raging asshole which might be a problem for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                it's a demographic change, not a generational one. If I may explain: there are a LOT of older voters due to the baby boomers. However, they are starting to die off- and there are a LOT of younger voters newly able to vote who are distinctly unhappy at the blatant prejudice the GOP is showing.
                You use a different phrase, but we are speaking (and pretty obviously) of exactly the same thing. And that thing takes a lot longer than six years, especially since far from all younger people lean Democratic and, generally speaking, most don't vote.
                Last edited by HYHYBT; 06-24-2014, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  You use a different phrase, but we are speaking (and pretty obviously) of exactly the same thing. And that thing takes a lot longer than six years, especially since far from all younger people lean Democratic and, generally speaking, most don't vote.
                  yes, it takes a lot longer than 6 years- and I can't remember where I read that figure, so it might well be inaccurate- but what i am saying is it has ALREADY started, and has been going on the past few election cycles.

Comment

• "You can't effect change from inside the White House...You gotta have the money."

Kanye West on Obama

Sadly, the only thing I can put out that fits is "even a broken clock is right twice a day."

Comment

• "I don't think it's divided at all."

RNC chairman Reince Priebus on GOP

After all, they all irrationally hate Obama, so clearly they're not divided.

Comment

• "She'd probably get shot at the state line."

Arkansas GOP district chairman Johnny Rhoda, on how Hillary Clinton would be received if she ran for president in 2016

Ahh the Deep South, such a welcoming place, isn't it?

(apologies to anyone from that area, but like the news stories from Florida, this really isn't helping your case)

Comment

• "Most people think Islam is a religion, it's not...It's a complete geopolitical structure and, as such, does not deserve First Amendment protection."

Georgia congressional candidate Jody Hice

Looks like a round about effort to discriminate after their religious freedoms laws backfired on them.

Comment

• "I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer."

Ann Coulter

Just another desperate attempt at "only America Matters! Look at us!". Nothing important to see here folks.

Comment

• "The town has to continue. The town has to go on, we can't dwell on what happened in the past. The only thing that we can do is try to move forward," he said. "And in that, the way to move forward is to put someone in place permanently."

-- Earl Bullard, Mayor of Latta, SC, after hiring a last minute replacement of Crystal Moore

If you're wondering, the town council rejected the replacement police chief.
                              Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

• "It is widely known Rep. Frank D. Lucas is no longer alive and has been displayed by a lookalike. Lucas' look-alike was depicted as sentenced on a white stage in southern Ukraine on or about Jan. 11, 2011. I will NEVER use Artificial Intelligence look-alike to voice what the Representative's Office is doing nor own a robot look-alike."

Tea Party challenger Timothy Ray Murray, who received 3,442 votes in an Oklahoma primary race last Tuesday

God damn it! Florida was supposed to contain the crazies!

Comment

Working...
                                X